Freshmen hospitalized in alcohol-related incidents

Four Thurston Hall residents were hospitalized in alcohol-related incidents in the past two weeks, University administrators said Wednesday.

In the most recent incident, two students were reported to be “highly intoxicated” and lying on the benches outside Thurston at 2 a.m. Wednesday, said Dolores Stafford, director of University Police.

Stafford said one student was unconscious and one was “somewhat coherent” when University Police officers and EMeRG members arrived at the freshman residence hall.

Both students were taken to the emergency room at GW Hospital, Stafford said. One student was hospitalized for several hours and released later Wednesday morning. The other student was treated and released.

Two other students were involved in separate alcohol-related incidents Aug. 17 and Aug. 22, said Bob Ludwig, a public affairs specialist in GW’s Office of University Relations. Both students were treated for alcohol-related illnesses and released, according to a University statement.

“All four students will be charged under the Code of Student Conduct for violating the University’s alcohol policy and may face educational as well as punitive sanctions, including expulsion from the residence hall,” said GW Executive Director of University Relations Sandy Holland in the statement.

Associate Dean of Students Jan-Mitchell Sherrill and other CLLC administrators did not return phone calls requesting comment on the incidents.

-Becky Neilson