Thurston move-in comes off without a hitch

Jay

Freshmen arrived at Thurston Hall early Saturday morning prepared to face a hectic move-in day.

And while the day was filled with the usual chaos and confusion – and even with construction that blocked off part of F Street – the process seemed more organized than in past years, upperclassmen said.

The Community Living and Learning Center staff worked around the usual problems of slow, small elevators and overcrowded halls to meet the needs of freshmen and parents.

“It’s always hectic,” said Jared Reiss, a sophomore who was selling carpets to incoming freshmen. “I think it’s organized, but it gets hectic because everyone tries to move in at the same time.”

Reiss said the event was more organized than last year’s move-in at the freshman residence hall.

Parents and students have complained in recent years of move-in frustrations, but most agree this year’s staff was well-organized.

“It went well for a thousand people moving into a residence hall at the same time,” Community Facilitator Gabe Ollins said. “We received a lot of compliments, everything went smoothly from parking to people helping move boxes.”

Students and parents new to the trials and tribulations of move-in were generally impressed with the CLLC staff.

“It was well-organized considering the volume of people involved,” parent Harvey Pyser said.

Some freshmen decided to avoid the rush Saturday by paying the $60-per-night fee to move in last week.

“It was hectic, but most of us feel it wouldn’t have been worth the money to move in early,” Stephanie Galavodas said.

“The only real headache was the long wait for an elevator, but that really can’t be helped,” freshman Melissa McGuffin said.

Not all students were pleased with the size and accommodations of their rooms, but students and parents alike breathed a sigh of relief when move-in was over.

“It was a good family experience and a smooth goodbye,” freshman Miranda Hoehbert said.