News You Missed …

DOLE SPEAKS: Entertains crowd on Ellipse

Former Sen. Bob Dole said he always dreamed of giving a major speech on the National Mall. But the keynote address at GW’s May 17 Commencement was not what he had in mind.

“The way I imagined it, we were all standing a little closer to the Capitol,” Dole told graduates and guests on the Ellipse.

“And I was on a much bigger platform. And the guy in the long gown was not President (Stephen Joel) Trachtenberg, but Chief Justice (William) Rehnquist. And my speech began with the words: `I, Bob Dole, do solemnly swear,’ ” he said. (5/18 issue)

SBPM DEAN TAPPED: Phillips served on Federal Reserve

Federal Reserve Governor Susan Phillips will take the School of Business and Public Management into the next millennium as its new dean, said Professor Donald Hawkins, head of the SBPM Dean Search Committee.

The selection ends a year-long search by the committee of faculty members, students, alumni, and business and management professionals. “She really has a combination of private, public and academic experience,” said James Edwin Kee, who served as interim dean for the past two years. (5/18 issue)

ADAMS HALL RENAMED: Officially becomes Lafayette

Adams Hall officially was renamed Lafayette Hall in May, after the University agreed last fall to postpone the name change until the end of the academic year.

The new plaque and bust, which had been covered for months, were unveiled without a ceremony. The University renamed the development office adjacent to Rice Hall the “John Quincy Adams House” and placed a new bust and plaque in front of the building. (5/18 issue)

WOMEN’S CREW MISSES SEMIS: Comes in 15th of 16

The GW women’s crew varsity eight boat accomplished its goal for the 1998 season by making it to the NCAA Championships.

Once the team got there, though, accomplishing more proved to be difficult as the boat finished 15th out of the 16 teams invited to the championship regatta May 29-31 at Lake Lanier, Ga.

“We were very happy just to be invited,” senior Erin Moore said. “But I think we all expected to do a little better than we did.” (6/8 issue)

POLICING CENTER OPENS: MPD, GW team up

The Metropolitan Police Department opened a Foggy Bottom Community Policing Center June 11 in a University-owned storefront at 2331 Virginia Ave.

MPD officers will use the center to call headquarters with reports and for lunch and restroom breaks, but will not be stationed in the building. Volunteer staffers will operate the center. (6/8 issue)

PENDERS TAKES OVER: Jarvis leaves for St. John’s

Tom Penders was introduced as Mike Jarvis’ successor as men’s basketball coach June 18, promising up-tempo, exciting basketball.

“I just can’t wait to coach this group of young men,” Penders said at a press conference in the Smith Center. “We’re going to have fun and we’re going to fill this arena. We have all the pieces in place, my biggest problem is going to be pronunciation.”

Seven days earlier, Jarvis held his own press conference at St. John’s University, announcing he had taken the Red Storm’s vacant coaching position. (6/22 issue)

LAW DEAN NAMED: Columbia’s Young takes post

The long search for a law school dean ended in June when GW tapped Columbia University’s Michael Young to fill the post.

Officials had been looking for a dean since last fall, when nine-year veteran Jack Friedenthal announced he would retire this summer to teach.

Young brings to GW a solid background in international law – he headed the Center for Japanese Legal Studies and the Center for Korean Legal Studies at Columbia. (6/22 issue)

NEW SPORTS ADDED: Plan expands women’s athletics

Four new women’s varsity sports will become part of GW’s athletic program over the next three years as part of an athletic funding plan passed June 15 by the finance committee of the University’s Board of Trustees.

The plan calls for women’s lacrosse, softball, water polo and squash to be added to GW’s varsity program over the next three years and for $500,000 in new scholarships to be made available for female athletes. One men’s sport – squash – also will be added. (6/22 issue)

STUDENT ASSAULTED: Woman attacked in Lafayette Hall

A female resident of Lafayette Hall was assaulted by a male intruder June 29 between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m., University Police said.

The identity of the victim was not released, but residents of Lafayette Hall who asked not to be identified said the victim is a high school student living at GW for the summer while she takes a college prep course.

The alleged intruder, a former boyfriend of the victim who was not a GW student or resident, was allowed to enter the building by other residents who knew him, said Emeka Olumba, the administrative aide on duty at the time of the incident. (7/13 issue)

-From staff reports

For the full story or other summer news, browse back issues of The GW Hatchet at https://www.gwhatchet.com.