News Briefs

GW honors March on Washington

GW’s Gelman Library and Black Entertainment Television will sponsor an exhibit entitled, “Looking Back – Moving Forward: The March on Washington 35 Years Later” to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Civil Rights March.

The exhibit will honor the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. The exhibit will include documents from the vaults of the Honorable Reverend Walter E. Fauntroy, former D.C. delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives.

In addition, memorabilia and pictures will be displayed.

“The challenge was to find what we needed to create a riveting tribute to those passionate days,” said Francine Henderson, head of the Gelman Library Special Collections Department, in a statement.

Henderson attended the march Aug. 28, 1963.

The exhibit opens Friday at 11 a.m. in the Marvin Center’s Colonnade Gallery. The Honorable Andrew Young, former ambassador to the United Nations and executive director of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in the 1960s will deliver opening remarks.

Best Buddies announces new director

GW’s chapter of Best Buddies, an organization dedicated to helping mentally challenged young adults, has selected Mariah Sussman as the student director for the upcoming school year.

Sussman underwent a vigorous selection process conducted by the Best Buddies headquarters in Miami, former Director Toniann Wright said in a statement.

Wright said the program’s mission is to provide mentally challenged students the opportunity to socialize and find employment on campus. The program pairs college-aged students with people who are mentally challenged.

GW project explores religion and medicine

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation awarded GW a $72,982 grant for a project to enhance the role of religion in the lives of near-death patients.

“Spiritual issues are paramount among those dealing with terminal illness,” project director Christina M. Puchalski said in a release. “This project recognizes that chaplains have a critical role in the care of the dying, yet few have training in how to deal with terminal patients.”

Studies have shown that people cope better with death when they have religious beliefs, according to a press release

Puchalski said the project will identify the spiritual needs of dying people and determine how religious organizations can become more involved.

D.C. Council candidates to host forum

GW students interested in the upcoming mayoral and council race in D.C. can attend the “At Large Candidates Forum.”

The forum takes place Sept. 1 at 7:30 p.m. at the IFC Auditorium, located at 2121 Pennsylvania Ave. The entrance to the auditorium is located on K Street.

The forum is sponsored by the Foggy Bottom Association.

Oliver North to speak at GW

Talk show host and former U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Col. Oliver North is slated to lecture at GW Sept. 2 in the Marvin Center’s Dorothy Betts Theatre.

The lecture, sponsored by GW’s College Republicans, has the potential to be the CR’s biggest event ever, CR Chairman Jared Hosid said.

“This year is going to be a new beginning for our organization,” he said. “We’re starting with a bang.”

Sponsoring lectures from well-known speakers will give the CRs name recognition with incoming freshmen, Hosid said.

A private reception will be held for CR members interested in meeting and speaking with North before the lecture.

“Ollie North brings out passion in people on both sides of the aisle,” Hosid said. “You can see it in people’s eyes when you mention his name.”

North left the Marines after involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal in the 1980’s. He later unsuccessfully ran for one of Virginia’s seats in the U.S. Senate.

Hosid said holding events like the North lecture early in September set the momentum for the rest of year.

Hosid also said North’s appearance will give GW students the opportunity to hear a conservative voice, which he said is rare on campus.

The CRs also will host an opening social at T.G.I. Friday’s Tuesday.

Greek rush to kick off early

GW’s Greek-letter community will hold fall rush early next month to avoid conflicts with other previously scheduled events and holidays.

Fall rush, which begins Sept. 12 and ends Sept. 19, is the only formal opportunity the Greek-letter community has to attract new members.

Rush week will feature events sponsored by individual fraternities and sororities as well as the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association.

Community Outreach Service Day will give prospective Greek-letter members the opportunity to perform community service with members of fraternities and sororities. In addition, the IFC and Panhellenic Association will host the “All-Greek Picnic on the Quad.”

Interested fraternity rushees do not need to register to rush. However, sororities require rushees to register for formal rush by Sept. 4.

Students interested in rushing a fraternity or sorority should contact the IFC and Panhellenic Association office at 994-7574.

ISA hosts welcome dinner

The Indian Student Association will open the new school year Friday with a dinner to welcome incoming freshmen.

Free pizza and beverages will be available to anyone interested in attending, said Rajan Bhaskar, co-president of ISA. Attendees will have the chance to participate in a raffle at the dinner to win a GW Bookstore gift certificate.

A King’s Dominion trip is scheduled for Sept. 7, but only 30 members can attend.

“In the past, we’ve stuck to large events,” Bhaskar said. “Now, we’re trying to become more social and fun.”

The new ISA leadership also plans to encourage more non-Indian students to get involved in the organization.

-Francesca Di Meglio