News Briefs

Welcome Week ready to go

Plans are wrapping up for next week’s Welcome Week, which will feature events to educate and entertain the GW community during the first week of classes.

The week will kick off with an opening picnic and movie on the Quad Sunday night. This year’s feature is “Deep Impact.” The next night, Aug. 24, will feature Pablo Francisco at Lisner Auditorium for Comedy Night.

Tuesday will feature an open house at the Mount Vernon campus and receptions for both the College Democrats and College Republicans.

A student organization and services fair will be held Wednesday night – a chance for students to get information on dozens of student groups. Student groups and University programs also have set up socials during Welcome Week to greet new students and encourage participation.

Thursday will be a chance to explore Mount Vernon with a block party, featuring fireworks, carnival games, and swimming and tennis. The Student Activities Center will be selling discounted tickets to “Shear Madness” at the Kennedy Center.

Friday night will be GW night at the Zei Club. Admission will be free with a GWorld ID and shuttles will take students to the club.

Saturday will be a chance to go to the Beach on the Quad, sponsored by the Greek-letter community. Students also can perform community service by cleaning up the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.

On the final day of Welcome Week, Aug. 30, students can eat at one of four restaurants in the District. GW also will offer late-night tours of Washington.

-Matt Berger

D.C. youth benefit from GW generosity

At-risk youths from the Washington, D.C. area between the ages of 18 to 25 graduated July 31 from the Personal Computer Specialist Program, sponsored by GW and Howard University AmeriCorps.

The seven graduating students worked and studied with college students from the two universities. They were trained in PC Help Desk Skills, Microsoft Office, Internet PC troubleshooting and entry-level computer skills. The students spent their final month in the program completing internships with the Latino Economic Development Corporation, the Ibero-American Chamber of Commerce, Amtrak, For the Love of Children, the GW Center for Professional Development and Tempo Bookstore.

“This program has been a great asset for me,” said Casey Reeves, a program graduate, in a University press release. “I’ve learned a lot about computers and about life. Now I look forward to a brighter future, maybe even getting a grant to teach computer classes.”

-Francesca Di Meglio

GW continues performance art tradition

The University’s theater and dance, and music departments will collaborate with the Mount Vernon campus to continue “IN Series,” a 16-year-old cultural arts tradition at the all-women’s college.

The series features cabaret, connoisseur concerts and drama performed at the Florence Hollis Hand Chapel.

“In celebration of our exciting future as part of The George Washington University, we are renewing our commitment to the `IN Series’ as an expression of our educational mission, our institutional identity and our dedication to the arts,” said Grae Baxter, executive dean of The George Washington University at Mount Vernon in a University press release.

GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg added in the press release that GW plans to support the performance as “yet another example of GW’s commitment and contribution to the community, the city and our students.”

GW plans to fully incorporate Mount Vernon into the University by June 1999. The two institutions have been linked since October 1996, when GW took financial control of the Foxhall Road campus.

-Shruti Dat?

Museum studies program welcomes new director

Ildiko DeAngelis will be the newest face in the GW’s museum studies program when she comes to the department from the Smithsonian Institution as its new director.

DeAngelis, formerly the Smithsonian’s assistant general counsel, earned a bachelor’s degree in art history from Rutgers University and a master’s degree in art history from the State University of New York at Binghamton. She later graduated magna cum laude from American University’s law school.

After a clerkship at the Smithsonian during law school, DeAngelis was an associate at the D.C. firm Steptoe & Johnson. Later, she took her first job in museum studies as a contract assistant registrar at the Smithsonian’s National Collection of Fine Arts.

She has taught courses in GW’s museum studies program as an adjunct professor.

-Becky Neilson

ESIA awards journalists fellowships

Three journalists recently were named recipients of the Freeman Fellowship award for American journalists from GW’s Elliott School of International Affairs.

The three fellows who will work toward graduate degrees in Chinese or East Asian studies while continuing their careers are:

Douglas Struck, a 24-year journalist serving on The Washington Post Metro staff who will become The Post’s Tokyo bureau chief in the fall of 1999.

David Cloud, who recently came joined The Wall Street Journal, has previously written for The Chicago Tribune and Congressional Quarterly.

Barbara Opall is a 15-year journalist reporting on defense, security and legislative issues. Since 1992, she has reported on international arms trading issues relating to East Asian defense and security affairs.

-Shruti Dat?