Residence halls get new phone numbers

The University is changing phone numbers in all residence hall rooms to provide students their own phone lines by the fall semester.

The new 242 phone exchange, the first three numbers of the seven-digit phone number, became necessary with the University’s promise of a “phone per pillow,” said Ken Soper, director of telecommunications.

The University would have been unable to provide each resident with a phone line with only the 994 and 676 exchanges the University currently uses. All residence halls now will use the new exchange.

Soper said the exchange is being phased in gradually and is working well so far. GW’s telecommunications office already has activated the changes in four of the residence halls – Crawford, Kennedy Onassis, Lafayette and Strong halls.

Some students staying in residence halls this summer said they were told of the change only hours before the new numbers were implemented.

“They told us the day before,” said Heidy Arriola, a Crawford Hall summer resident. “I had just gotten here and told all (my friends and family) the number.”

Campus offices will implement the unused 994 phone numbers. The 676 exchange is being phased out by Bell Atlantic, which owns the exchange, Soper said.

-Stacey Felsen