Sports Briefs

GW places third in A-10 Commissioner’s Cup

GW’s athletics program placed third in the 1997-98 Hanes-Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Cup for athletic excellence with a total score of 117.5 points.

The Commissioner’s Cup measures the overall strength of athletics programs at A-10 schools. Massachusetts won its third straight Commissioner’s Cup with a total of 162.5 points, nine points ahead of the second-place Virginia Tech (153.5).

GW was carried by its women’s program, which accounted for 68 of its points, compared to 49.5 points from the men’s program. The women’s basketball team won the regular season A-10 title and the women’s gymnastics team won the A-10 Championships. The men’s baseball team also won the A-10 regular season title to earn points for GW.

GW finished third even though it does not have teams that compete in six of the sports that are considered in the Commissioner’s Cup standings – field hockey, softball, men’s and women’s outdoor track, and men’s and women’s indoor track.

Women’s crew falters at Princeton

Princeton University women’s crew swept every race in a tri-meet with GW and Georgetown University May 2.

GW women’s varsity eight, one of the highest-ranked boats in the nation heading into the meet, lost to both Georgetown and host Princeton. GW finished in 6:35.02, 15 seconds behind Princeton (6:20.02), which improved to 9-1 on the season. The loss may hurt the varsity eight boat’s chances of receiving a bid to the NCAA Championships at the end of the May.

Four GW boats finished in second place at the meet, including the second varsity eight, the varsity lightweight eight, the novice lightweight eight and the second novice eight.

-Dustin Gouker