GW set for A-10s, but rain brings tourney to a halt

The GW baseball team thought it would be competing for the Atlantic 10 Championship in Boyertown, Pa. this weekend.

The weather had other plans.

Every game of the A-10’s postseason tournament was postponed this weekend, as rain in eastern Pennsylvania brought the event to a standstill. The A-10 Championship was originally planned as a double-elimination tournament to take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but rain stopped play from getting underway all three days.

The conference changed the format to a single-elimination tournament that will take place Tuesday at a site and time to be determined.

GW, the first seed from the A-10 West Division, is scheduled to face Fordham, the second seed from the East, in its first game of the tournament. Massachusetts, the first seed from the East, will face Virginia Tech, the second seed from the West. The winners of those two games will face each other for the A-10 title Tuesday night.

Its appearance in the A-10 Championship is the first for GW since 1995, and the Colonials (33-17,13-2 A-10) have not won the A-10 title since 1992.

Before the rained-out games this weekend, GW dropped its final three games of the regular season. The losing streak was the longest for the Colonials since they lost four games to open the season.

George Mason 4, GW 1

GW managed just four hits against the Patriots’ pitching in GW’s second consecutive loss to George Mason University May 4 at Raymond H. Spuhler Field in Fairfax, Va.

The Colonials opened the scoring in the top of the third inning on a bases-loaded sacrifice fly by junior Ted Currle. George Mason answered in the top of the inning with three runs off GW starter Tom Baginski (6-4) to take a 3-1 lead it would not lose.

Starter Mike Huller allowed just one hit and one earned run in five innings of work to notch the victory for the Patriots.

George Mason 10, GW 6

GW squandered an early lead in losing to the Patriots April 30 at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.

The Colonials led 3-1 after four innings, but George Mason posted five runs in the top of the fifth inning to take a 6-3 lead and padded that lead with three more runs in the sixth.

Freshman Adam Belicic (7-2), one of GW’s best pitchers this season, was rocked by Patriots’ hitting. He gave up nine earned runs and 12 hits in five and one-third innings to take the loss.

Eric Mitchell led the Colonial offense with two hits, one of them a home run. Rob Ingwer and Dan Rouhier both homered for GW as well, while Mike Roberts and Ryan Dacey both collected a pair of hits.

Maryland 10, GW 7

GW lost to the University of Maryland April 29 at Shipley Field in College Park, Md. despite a pair of home runs by Joe Beichert.

The Colonials led 4-2 through three and a half innings, before GW starter Bryan Beggs (3-3) gave up four runs to give the Terrapins a 6-4 lead. GW closed the gap to 6-5 in the sixth, but Maryland answered in the bottom of the inning with three runs to take a 9-5 lead.

Beichert knocked in five of GW’s seven runs on three hits, including his 15th and 16th home runs of the season. Dan Rouhier also had three hits for the Colonials, one of them a home run.

GW 8, Towson 7

Ted Currle hit a solo home run in the top of the tenth inning to lift GW over Towson University April 28 at Burdick Field in Towson, Md.

GW rallied from a 7-5 deficit in the eighth inning to tie the game at 7. Ryan Hauseman and Mike Roberts both singled with two outs to put runners at first and third base. Currle’s single to right field scored Hauseman to cut the lead to 7-6, and Dan Rouhier hit GW’s fourth consecutive single to tie the game.

GW’s Chris Matarese went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a home run – his ninth of the year – while Rouhier added three hits of his own in leading GW to victory.

Clint Sells (3-1) worked the final one and one-third innings to earn the victory for the Colonials.