GW baseball team routs UMBC

The GW baseball team overwhelmed the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 11-3 Wednesday at Barcroft Park for its fifth-consecutive win.

The Colonials decimated UMBC pitching with 19 hits in improving to 25-12 on the season. Senior Cassedy Smith delivered the big hit in the fourth inning as he knocked a grand slam over the centerfield fence to give GW an 8-0 lead.

baseballThree Colonial pitchers limited UMBC (7-27) to eight hits. Freshman Bryan Beggs (2-2) started and pitched five shutout innings to get his second win as a Colonial. Smith went 2-for-4, scored a run and drove in five.

GW scored three runs on six hits to knock out UMBC starter Jeff Fraley, who lasted only two innings. In all, UMBC used seven pitchers.

Joe Beichert opened the scoring with an RBI-single in the first inning, scoring Rob Ingwer (3-for-3, two runs scored). The Colonials scored two more runs in the second inning and another in the third to take a 4-0 lead before Smith broke open the game.

GW plated another two runs in the fifth. The Retrievers scored all three of their runs in the top of the sixth inning.

Four Colonials had three hits in the game, including Beichert, who also scored two runs and had two RBIs.

GW plays at Howard University Thursday at 7 p.m. and plays a three-game series at La Salle this weekend.

In addition, junior lefthander Tom Baginski was named Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week for the second-straight week Monday. Baginski struck out a career-high 17 batters in defeating Dayton Sunday. Baginski is 4-3 on the season.