Film defies romantic comedystereotypes

Superb writing and talented stars elevate The Object of MyAffection (Twentieth Century Fox) beyond usual expectations for a romantic comedy.

Paul Rudd(Clueless) and Jennifer Aniston(Picture Perfect) star in the flick about a complex relationship in the 1990s. Rudd stars as George Hanson, a gay first-grade teacher. He directs musicals for a private New York City elementary school.

Aniston plays Nina Borowski, a Brooklyn social worker desperately trying to escape the nouveau riche lifestyle of her rich stepsister, Constance (Allison Janney, Primary Colors), and brother-in-law, Sidney (Alan Alda, Flirting with Disaster).

In a backward plot, George and Nina become close friends, and their relationship progresses. George is dumped by his boyfriend, Dr. Robert Joley (Tim Daly, “Wings”). He then decides to move in with Nina in her Brooklyn walk-up. Nina’s boyfriend, Vince McBride (John Pankow, “Mad About You”), a somewhat sleazy lawyer, is suspicious of the relationship between George and Nina.

When Nina becomes pregnant with Vinnie’s child, however, the plot begins to shift. She realizes the meaning of family and sorts out her life. A few life-altering decisions result, making things interesting. Audiences can connect with this story line. The plot sticks to reality and avoids the sickeningly sweet stereotype of romantic comedies.

The issues the movie deals with – homosexuality, attraction, single motherhood – are not taken lightly, but are portrayed with optimism. The Object of My Affection works out the kinks and smoothes the plot, but still leaves the viewer with an understanding that things don’t always work out the way one expects.

The chemistry between Rudd and Aniston works on screen, butAniston is still obviously a television actress. Her delivery in this role is superior to that in Picture Perfect, and her lines are more honest and less sappy.

Alda is irresistible as Nina’s brother-in-law, a filthy-rich book contractor, but we do not see enough of him. Nigel Hawthorne(The Madness of King George) does well in his somewhat confusing role as Rodney Fraser, a college professor who lives vicariously through one of his students, Paul (Amo Gulinello).

The screenplay was written by Wendy Wasserstein, whose plays including “The Heidi Chronicles” and “An American Daughter,” won accolades on and off Broadway. Her words flow smoothly, and the dialogue is entertaining. However, several minor characters could be better developed.

The soundtrack is appropriate, but not memorable. Sting sings the focal song of the film, a nice rendition of “You Were Meant for Me.” The other tracks are heard and forgotten.

3 Hatchets