News Briefs

Cronkite to speak at Press Club Monday

Walter Cronkite, former anchor of CBS News, will sit down for a one-on-one interview with Marvin Kalb Monday at the National Press Club as part of an event sponsored by GW’s School of Media and Public Affairs.

The interview is the last in a series of Kalb Reports focusing on ethics in journalism. Previous guests in the series have included former Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein and CBS News President Andrew Hayward.

Cronkite and Kalb will discuss current scandals at the White House surrounding President Clinton’s alleged affair with a White House intern and sexual harassment of a former Arkansas state employee.

The event will air live on the CBS Radio Network and NewsChannel 8. Tickets are free. The event is expected to be sold out, but GW is making efforts to get all interested students seats, according to Mike Freedman, director of public affairs and executive producer of the Kalb Report. The program begins at 8 p.m. at the National Press Club Ballroom on 14th and F streets.-Matt Berger

Lavella wins RHA presidency

Justin Lavella defeated Aaron Wynn in the first contested Residence Hall Association presidential race in several years Wednesday night.

Lavella vowed to “tear down the wall that surrounds Rice Hall.”

He said he wants to get more freshmen involved in RHA through freshman advising workshops and Colonial Inauguration.

“In the past, the president of RHA has acted as a liaison between the administration and the students,” Lavella said. “But now I hope to represent an active advocate for the residents. I hope to establish an agenda for RHA.”

Lavella, a strong supporter of open elections for RHA president, said he will not continue to fight for them if it is not what the other RHA members want. Two bills that would have let all students living in residence halls vote for RHA president and vice president for programming were defeated this year.

Gregg Ladislaw was voted vice president for community service. He said he would work to help the homeless population in D.C. through such organizations as Miriam’s Kitchen and Habitat for Humanity.

Jennifer Lerner was elected secretary, and Veena Raj as treasurer.

Nobody ran for two RHA positions – vice president for programming and national communications coordinator. However, some people were nominated for the positions at the meeting and the positions will be voted on Wednesday.

The percentage of votes for each race have been sealed until Wednesday night, when the election for the two remaining positions has occurred, according to Heather Rothman, RHA treasurer and member of the board of elections.-Laura Hertzfeld

Pepsi Ball stops at Smith Center

GW students were able to learn a new game Friday at the Smith Center as a touring group brought the Pepsi Ball Challenge to campus.

The game, invented by the Pepsi-Cola Company, consists of three opposing teams of four players each and is a combination of frisbee, handball, basketball and lacrosse, according to David VanVoorhis, tour coordinator.

“The object of the game is to throw the ball into one of the opposing teams’ goals and prevent the opposing team from scoring,” he said. “It has three goal posts set in a triangle, similar to that of lacrosse.”

The Pepsi Ball Challenge is making its second tour around the country. GW is the 11th stop on a 30-school spring tour.

The Pepsi Ball Tour Group goes around to college campuses across the nation to discourage alcohol consumption among college students at sport events, according to VanVoorhis. He said the tour gives out free T-shirts, jerseys and Pepsi products to divert students’ attention from alcohol.-Chioma Oruh