Neilson takes reigns of Hatchet

The GW Hatchet’s news editor Becky Neilson will lead the paper next year as its editor in chief.

Neilson was elected by Hatchet editors March 28. She is expected to be confirmed by The Hatchet’s Board of Directors later this month.

Becky“I’m definitely hoping to continue a tradition of covering student activities on campus and making it a paper for students,” Neilson said.

Neilson will head a veteran editorial board next year – with at least one editor returning to each section. She will put finishing touches on next year’s staff in the upcoming weeks.

“I’m coming back with a wonderful staff with energy and enthusiasm for their jobs,” she said.

Originally from Tennessee, Neilson now calls Princeton, N.J. home. Since she turned 21 Sunday, she will be able to relieve Hatchet stress with a chocolate margarita at Xando.

The junior political communication major said she brings knowledge of GW to the paper.

“I think I bring a good sense of what’s news on campus,” she said.

Neilson said her plans to open a bureau at Au Bon Pain will help her keep an eye on the University while enjoying corn chowder soup in a bread bowl.

“I’m all about that,” she said.

Neilson said she plans to make some changes to The Hatchet next year. She plans to expand The Hatchet’s Web site and news coverage. Most dramatic, however, is her plan to turn The Hatchet’s townhouse into a bed and breakfast.

“My goal in life is to own a bed and breakfast somewhere,” she said.

Neilson covered the Student Association her freshman year, a rewarding, if aggravating, experience. She has served on the news editing team for three semesters. Her GW Hospital coverage, provocative spotlight articles and tackling of GWorld GWoes roused the respect of Hatchet staff. She also wields hyphens, dashes and capital letters with striking accuracy.

“I’ve worked at The Hatchet since my first week at GW,” she said.

Neilson said she does not believe she received her promotion because of an alleged “improper relationship” with former Hatchet chief executive Jared Sher.

Current editor in chief Tyson Trish said he has confidence in Neilson.

“I’m sure Becky will do a wonderful job next year,” Trish said. “She has shown exceptional dedication and talent during her first three years at The Hatchet.”