Suicide Kings, choppy scenes confuse audience

Christopher Walken (Excess Baggage) as a former Mafia kingpin and Denis Leary (Wag the Dog) as a hitman comprise a great cast, but Suicide Kings (Live Entertainment) has too many flashbacks and choppy scenes to keep the audience’s attention.

Even though the dialogue is clever, and at times hilarious, Suicide Kings has trouble flowing and fails to keep the audience interested in its complex plot.

Five rich kids design a plan to kidnap a Mafia kingpin, and keep him in a New Jersey mansion. The plan originates when Avery (Henry Thomas, E.T.) finds his sister has been kidnapped by two thugs. He decides to use the Mafia’s money and connections to get his sister back. But soon the kids find their plan has problems – and some of their friends are not trustworthy.

This is the movie’s strongest point. Walken’s character suggests early on that one of the kidnappers is lying, which makes the audience constantly guess which characters are telling the truth.

Suicide Kings plays with the ideas of greed, deceit and double-crossing within two distinct social classes: the rich upper class and the wealthy Mafia. Clash between underworld and the Ivy League makes conflict between characters entertaining and clever.

Ira (Johnny Galecki, “Roseanne”) steals most of the scenes with his comic relief. He is the conscience of the group, constantly worrying about what his parents will think when they discover their house is the scene of the crime.

Another character who makes Suicide Kings worth seeing is the hitman with a shoe fetish, Lono Vecchio (Leary).

“Lono has certainly killed a few people, but he tries to be a good guy and just keeps being thwarted by life,” first-time director Peter O’Fallon said in a press release.

Leary is cast perfectly in the role of Lono. He performs the best monologues of the movie.

The main problem with Suicide Kings is in tying the scenes together. This causes the movie to lose its flow, which makes the ending seem drawn out.

3 hatchets