GW prepares to host HOBY conference

GW will host the 40th annual Hugh O’Brian Youth World Leadership Congress this summer. The program provides high school sophomores from all 50 states and 45 nations the opportunity to receive leadership training from some of America’s top decision makers through a series of question-and-answer sessions.

HOBY has turned out more than 250,000 alumni since it started in 1958. It was created by actor Hugh O’Brian, who starred as Wyatt Earp in the highly successful 1950s television series.

“The HOBY World Leadership Congress is one of the foremost leadership programs for high school students,” said Dr. Farnoosh Shahrokhi, coordinator of pre-college student activities at GW. “It is a wonderful opportunity for both the University and the participating students, as it will expose the late-adolescents to the best that Washington has to offer.”

O’Brian said he feels the Leadership Congress will continue to encourage students to unleash their potential as achievers and, in turn, inspire them to motivate their classmates to become active participants in “America’s incentive system,” the theme of all HOBY seminars.

“I can’t imagine a better place to conduct our 40th anniversary World Leadership Congress than the incredibly vibrant George Washington University campus right in the heart of our nation’s capital,” O’Brian said.

The student’s eight-day trip, July 17-25, will include tours of Washington landmarks and seminars with leaders of government, business, the arts and education.

Invitations to lead the seminars still are being sent out. However, University Relations said verbal agreements have been given by such distinguished people as Elizabeth Dole, American Red Cross president; Newt Gingrich, speaker of the House of Representatives; and Secretary of Education Richard Riley. Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Auldren and Gene Sernin also have agreed to participate.

The seminars will include the topics of energy, culture, communications, entrepreneurship, government and medicine in the 21st century.

“Preparing the next generation of American and international leaders is GW’s top priority,” said GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg. “It is most appropriate that we offer our campus and resources to Hugh O’Brian for HOBY’s 40th anniversary World Leadership Congress.

“Besides, I always wanted to meet Wyatt Earp and he is definitely still riding tall in the saddle.”