Baseball team continues turnaround, wins three

A year ago, it took the GW baseball team an entire season to win 21 games.

What a difference a year makes.

With 17 games remaining this season, the Colonials have nearly matched their win total from last season. GW reached 20 wins by winning two out of three games at Duquesne this weekend. The Colonials also defeated the College of William & Mary at home Thursday.

GW (20-11, 4-2 Atlantic 10) has won six of its last seven games. After opening the season by losing seven of their first nine games, the Colonials have won 16 of their last 19 games.

GW’s turnaround this season has been remarkable. Last year at this point in the season, the Colonials had won only 11 games on their way to a 21-33 record and a fifth-place finish in the A-10 West Division.

In addition, two of GW’s best players from last season, outfielder Troy Allen and pitcher Matt Williams did not return this year. Allen was drafted into professional baseball and Williams transferred to George Mason University.

GW plays the University of Richmond at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Barcroft Park and at James Madison University Wednesday.

GW 13, Duquesne 0Junior lefthander Tom Baginski pitched a two-hit complete game shutout, and junior first baseman Joe Beichert drove in four runs as GW routed Duquesne 13-0 at Duquesne Field Sunday.

Baginski (3-3) struck out 12 hitters and walked only two in nine innings of work. Beichert continued his hot hitting, collecting three hits, including two home runs, and scored two runs.

Beichert gave GW a 2-0 lead with a two-out, two-run home run off Duquesne starter Chris Cummings. Beichert added a solo home run in the fifth inning to give the Colonials a 5-0 lead. Beichert has 11 home runs on the season.

Cummings was battered by the Colonials, giving up seven earned runs on nine hits in seven and one-third innings. Cummings (1-2) left the game in the eighth when GW plated six runs, three of which came on a three-run home run by catcher Eric Mitchell.

Shortstop Ryan Dacey also had two hits and scored three runs for the Colonials, who got their second win over the Dukes (11-11, 3-3 A-10) in three games.

Duquesne 8, GW 0Duquesne starter Joe Beimel pitched a complete game shutout as the Dukes won the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.

Beimel (3-1) held the Colonials to five hits in his seven innings and never allowed a baserunner to reach third base. Only two GW runners got to second base. Beimel also got the Colonials to hit into five double plays.

GW starter Ari Zagaris (3-2) pitched all six innings, allowing eight runs, six of them earned, on six hits.

Duquesne struck for four runs in the first inning, highlighted by catcher Josh Stahl’s three-run home run, which made the score 4-0.

GW 14, Duquesne 10Junior third baseman Ted Currle drove in five runs, as GW held off a furious Duquesne rally to win the first game of a doubleheader Saturday at Duquesne Field.

The Colonials batted around and scored eight runs in the first inning, including a three-run home run by second baseman Mike Roberts. GW led 10-4 after five innings, but Duquesne came back. The Dukes scored five runs in the seventh inning off GW pitcher Clint Sells to make the game close.

Freshman Adam Belicic won his team-high fifth game of the season.

GW 15, William & Mary 9Mike Roberts drove in five runs and the Colonials held off William & Mary 15-9 Thursday at Barcroft Park.

Roberts’ three-run home run in the second inning gave GW a 4-1 lead. The Colonials then scored seven runs in the third inning to take an 11-1 lead, before the Tribe (14-18) made the game close with five runs in the fifth inning. Chad Dewey (2-0) got the win in relief for GW.