Sports Briefs

Belicic earns A-10 honor for second time

Freshman Adam Belicic of the GW baseball team was named the Atlantic 10’s Rookie of the Week for the second time this season Monday.

Belicic has been playing well both at the plate and on the mound for the Colonials. As a pitcher, Belicic has been the ace of GW’s staff. Against the University of Rhode Island last week, the lefthander threw a six-hit complete game shutout, and before that he allowed just one hit in two innings of work in the first game of a doubleheader sweep of Mount St. Mary’s. He has compiled a 4-1 record and a 1.83 earned run average, which are both the best marks on the team.

Belicic has also been a potent offensive threat for the Colonials. In the first game against Mount St. Mary’s, he hit a key three-run home run to cap a four-run rally by the Colonials. He is batting .259 with five home runs and 15 runs batted in.-Dustin Gouker

Women’s tennis starts slowly after spring break

Getting off to a slow start following spring break, the GW women’s tennis team was shut out 7-0 by Richmond University Saturday and lost 5-2 to Old Dominion University Sunday.

The Colonial women struggled against Richmond, which had competed throughout its spring break week.

“It was kind of expected, we came off spring break without playing,” head coach Tracey Tooke said.

Tooke said Holly Huntley had a stand-out performance at the number four singles spot against Richmond. Huntley split the first two sets, but slipped in the third set in a tough loss.

The match against Old Dominion was an improvement, with Huntley winning her singles match 7-6, 6-3, and the number one doubles pair of Julie Kim and Sarine Weingarten winning 8-5 in the pro set format.

With three matches at their Hains Point home courts this weekend, the Colonial women have a chance to get back into the swing of things.

“Our work ethic is improving. The girls are having a lot of fun, and they have a lot of potential,” Tooke said. “We’re getting better with each match and definitely hope to peak for our conference championship in two weeks.”-Jamie Lin