News Briefs

Petron to chair MCGB

Mike Petron was elected chair of the Marvin Center Governing Board Friday.

“I want to make sure the administration doesn’t walk all over students during the renovations,” Petron said.

Petron served this year as an undergraduate representative to the board and was parliamentarian of the Student Association Senate last year. He replaces Jonathan Pompan as chair.

Petron ran unopposed for the organization’s top spot.

Scott Levi was elected MCGB vice-chair and Meredith Shaller was elected secretary. Earlier in the day, Shaller and Heidi Wicker were appointed to student spots on the board.-Matt Berger

SPBM hosts first-ever Spirit Day

School of Business and Public Management students will have the chance to participate in community service projects Friday as SBPM holds its first-ever Spirit Day.

During the event – modeled after KPMG Peat Marwick’s annual World of Spirit Day – students, faculty, staff and alumni will help out with projects at local organizations like the National Zoo, Martha’s Table, Miriam’s Kitchen and the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Spirit Day will be the opening event for GW’s first community service weekend, according to an SPBM press release.

Anyone interested in participating in a service project should contact Alison O’Mara at 994-6207 or [email protected].

-Becky Neilson

Novelist Susan Shreve to speak at GW

Susan Shreve, author of nine novels and 23 children’s books, will speak on campus April 16 about the challenges of using Washington as a setting for fiction.

The talk will be held Gelman Library room 202 at 6:30 p.m.

Shreve has been a professor at George Mason University since 1976 and founded the school’s master’s of fine arts program in creative writing.

Shreve was president of the P.E.N./ Faulkner Foundation from 1985 to 1990 and received numerous grants and awards from the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

The talk is being held in conjunction with the exhibit “City of Magnificent Illusions: The Washington, D.C. of Fiction” in Gelman Library’s Special Collections Department. It displays more than 70 books that are set in Washington. The exhibit is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

-Helder Gil