Grease returns to theaters for 20th anniversary

Mickey and Minnie. Romeo and Juliet. Lucy and Desi. Bonnie and Clyde.

Few other couples are known by both grandparents and grandchildren. But Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) and Danny (John Travolta) span the generation gap. Young and old love the story of Rydell High Class of 1978.

When it debuted in 1978, Grease (Paramount Pictures) grossed more than $340 million dollars at the box office. Today, it continues to be one of the top 10 video rentals, proving that Grease is as much a part of American life as baseball.

For its 20th anniversary, the classic musical, Grease, is being re-released in theaters with revamped, digitized sound. But few even notice the sound. They are whisked away to Rydell High and quickly become one of the Pink Ladies or T-Birds.

For the few who don’t know Grease, Sandy and Danny meet at the beach and have a summer fling. Danny returns to Rydell High for his senior year and Sandy is supposed to return home to Australia. Plans change, and Sandy ends up at Rydell High, too.

During the summer, Danny shed his ultra-cool image and “was just a Nadine.” Now Danny can’t forget about Sandy, who is Miss Goody-Two-Shoes – but he can’t forget he’s a T-Bird either.

While the story is enjoyable, it’s the music that makes the show a success. The songs can be described with one word – catchy. Once one hears the music from the film, it will play in your head all night.

From the first note of “Summer Nights” to the last word of “We Go Together,” Grease hooks the audience. Of course, the music, especially the classics like “Grease Lightning” and “Sandra Dee,” sounds much better with digitized sound. It actually enhances the viewing of Grease, if that’s possible.

During the movie, audience members could not help themselves and sang along. Viewing Grease in theaters is definitely a different experience from viewing it on a television screen. Even the biggest fan notices more details. But the best part is the interactive film experience, complete with audience participation.

It’s the same film. It’s the same characters. And it’s the same upbeat music. It’s what everyone wants – the same old Grease.Grease is now playing.5 hatchets