Colonials stay hot with three wins

In the GW baseball team’s first 10 games, it won just three contests.

In its last 10 games, the team has lost just once.

After winning three games this week, the Colonials are in the midst of a four-game winning streak and have won nine of their last 10 outings.

GW (13-9) opens Atlantic 10 play this weekend with a three-game series at home against Rhode Island.

GW 3, Navy 1Three GW pitchers combined to hold the Naval Academy to just one run on five hits as the Colonials won Wednesday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

Right-hander Ari Zagaris (2-1) started and pitched three hitless, scoreless innings to earn the win for the Colonials. Chad Dewey shut out Navy during the next four innings before Bryan Beggs worked the final two innings to register his first save of the season.

GW’s offense was not spectacular, but it gave its pitching just enough production to get the win. Mike Roberts and Robert Ingwer both had two hits and a run scored for GW. The Colonials scored once in the first on a fielder’s choice and plated two more runs in the third on a pair of RBI singles by Cassedy Smith and Chris Materese.

GW 5, Mount St. Mary’s 3Senior Joe Beichert’s home run in the bottom of the third inning – his team-best ninth of the season – broke a 3-3 tie and lifted the Colonials to a victory over Mount St. Mary’s Tuesday in the second game of a doubleheader at Barcroft Park.

GW jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the second. The Mountaineers, though, came back with three runs of their own in the top of the third before Beichert’s home run gave GW the lead for good.

Right-handed freshman Clint Sells pitched the final four innings of the game for GW, giving up no runs and just one hit to earn his first career save.

Beichert went three-for-three while freshman catcher Nate Nanzer had two hits and knocked in three runs for the Colonials.

GW 5, Mount St. Mary’s 4With GW trailing 4-2 in the bottom of the sixth inning, freshman Adam Belicic nailed a three-run home run to lead the Colonials past Mount St. Mary’s Tuesday in the first game of a doubleheader.

Freshman Rollie Corden pitched a scoreless seventh inning to record his third save of the season.

Belicic and leftfielder Ryan Hauseman each had a pair of hits for the Colonials, who trailed the entire way until Belicic’s home run put GW in front.