Role players key to Colonials’ success in A-10 Tournament

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Massachusetts coach “Bruiser” Flint said the reason for GW’s 88-83 win over his Minutemen in the Atlantic 10 Tournament quarterfinals Thursday was not Shawnta Rogers’ career-high 28 points or Mike King’s 18 points and seven rebounds, but the contributions of forward Pat Ngongba and reserves J.J. Brade and Francisco de Miranda.

“Those guys played well, they were the difference in the game,” he said. “Ngongba got to every loose ball, J.J. Brade came up with a big steal and a basket, and de Miranda played well. I thought we did a good job on (Alexander) Koul and (Yegor) Mescheriakov. You look for Mike King and Shawnta Rogers to do their thing, but those guys came in and played a big part.”

Brade, de Miranda and Ngongba all played a big role in the success of the GW men’s basketball team at the A-10 Tournament this weekend. Against UMass, Ngongba had 10 points and six rebounds, de Miranda had nine points and Brade scored seven points, including two dunks.

The three also played well against Temple Friday. Brade had a season-high 17 points and had six rebounds. De Miranda had a career-high 11 points, and Ngongba added seven rebounds.

Brade, de Miranda and Ngongba all played very few minutes at certain points during the year. Brade’s minutes suffered the most, as he did not play at all for several games in a row.

“I’m really proud of J.J. for not giving up on himself or the team,” Jarvis said. “He’s been through some rough times and I would like to think that all the things we’ve gone through have really paid off.”

“I appreciate the fact that Coach Jarvis has given me a chance to redeem myself,” Brade said. “I’d rather be playing at tournament time than any other time during the season.”