Referenda, candidates revived for runoff

Two referenda voted by paper ballot last week will appear in voting booths during this week’s runoff election, according to Joint Elections Committee Chair Terry Goddard.

Goddard said speculation that all voters did not receive the questions caused the JEC to throw out last week’s results and place the questions back on the ballot. Threats of lawsuits to Student Court may be avoided with the re-vote.

“We decided there was too much confusion with the way it was supposed to be dealt with,” he said. “To quell any confusion, we will simply vote again.”

The first question, which changes sections of the Student Association constitution to conform with the JEC charter, passed 396-157. The other question, changing the “National Law Center” to “the Law School” in the constitution, passed 360-96. Overall, 2,858 people voted in campus elections.

“This time around, anyone who wants to vote on the referenda will be able to on the machine,” Goddard said.

The main question on Tuesday and Wednesday’s runoff election will be the choice for SA president. Carrie Potter and Patrick Macmanus both advanced to the runoff, with neither garnering 40 percent to win outright.

“I’m not surprised it went to a runoff,” Goddard said. “They are two very popular candidates and they both have excellent organization.”

Potter received 36.63 percent of the vote to come in first place in the election. She said participating in the runoff is like starting over from scratch.

“For us, we’re going to keep doing what we have been doing,” Potter said. “As far as strategy, the only thing we have to work on is getting people out to vote again.”

Macmanus, who advanced with 33.75 percent of the vote, said placing second will help his campaign.

“It keeps people motivated and people know they still have a cause to fight for,” he said.

In the days since the runoff was announced, both candidates have been working to receive additional endorsements. Sabina Siddiqui, who placed third in the presidential race with 18.89 percent, said she will campaign for Potter.

“I think a lot of the things she believes in are the same things our campaign is working on,” Potter said.

Executive Vice President-elect Jesse Strauss also said he will campaign for Potter.

Macmanus said he believes more people will come out and support him in the runoff.

“There are groups of students that were unable to come out (last week) because of exams,” he said. “They are coming out very strong this week.”

Both candidates agreed that getting students to vote will be the biggest challenge in the runoff.

“I think the public relations stuff is so important,” Potter said. “I think it’s important that people do realize there is a runoff.”

The voting situation is similar to last week, with the same locations and same hours. However, with only one race and two questions on the ballot, the votes are expected to be counted earlier than last week’s 2:45 a.m. announcement.

Goddard said paper ballots have been prepared, but will be used only if voting machines break down.

Write-in votes are not permitted in the runoff.

Letters have been sent to all residence hall students and postering is underway to inform students of the runoff, Goddard said.

And when the announcement is made Wednesday night at J Street, one more thing will be similar to last week. Macmanus’ mother, Sandra, will be by her son’s side.

“She’s coming back on Tuesday and going to be palmcarding for me Tuesday and Wednesday,” Macmanus said. “She loved the fact that there was so much energy.”