Colonials earn first back-to-back wins of 1998 season

The GW baseball team doubled its win total for the season after posting victories in two of its best games of the year.

The Colonials (4-8) started the weekend with a come-from-behind victory at George Mason University Thursday, followed by a shutout of Cleveland State University at home Saturday.

GW’s first winning streak of the season came to an end in the second game of a doubleheader with Cleveland State, when the Vikings returned the favor by shutting out the Colonials.

“We still need to be more consistent offensively,” GW head coach Tom Walter said. “The pitching and the fielding have been there, but the offense has not always been there for us.”

GW was scheduled to complete a three-game series with Cleveland State Sunday afternoon, but the game was canceled because of rain.

The baseball team is slated to play two home games this week against Towson State University Tuesday and Coppin State University Wednesday.

Cleveland St. 1, GW 0A home run by Cleveland State (2-9) in the top of the first inning was all the Vikings needed to defeat GW at Barcroft Park Saturday in the second game of a twin bill.

GW’s Tom Baginski went the distance in the seven-inning game, allowing just one earned run and two hits. The junior left-hander also struck out seven Vikings while walking just three.

Third baseman Ted Currle and designated hitter Cassedy Smith had the only hits for the Colonials.

GW 4, Cleveland St. 0GW hurler Adam Belicic pitched a complete game shutout to lead the Colonials to victory over Cleveland State Saturday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

Belicic, a freshman left-hander, gave up just four hits and struck out five Cleveland State batters in seven innings of work.

“That’s impressive for a freshman to throw a shutout,” Walter said. “He really stepped up big for us.”

The Colonials scored two runs in the bottom of the first and two in the bottom of the sixth to earn the win, although they recorded just five hits. GW shortstop Ryan Dacey hit a two-run homer, while Ted Currle and Joe Beichert both doubled and knocked in a run for GW.

GW 18, George Mason 9After trailing 7-0, the Colonials came from behind to defeat George Mason at Raymond H. Spuhler Field Thursday.

George Mason jumped out to the early lead by scoring seven runs in the first three innings on GW starter Bryan Beggs. Sophomore Chad Dewey (1-0), who earned the win for the Colonials, entered the game in relief of Beggs in the fourth and held GMU to just two more runs in the next three innings.

GW got on the scoreboard with three runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to narrow the Patriots’ lead to 7-6, and took the lead briefly in the top of the sixth with two more runs to take an 8-7 lead.

GMU took the lead back with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth, but GW went ahead for good by scoring 10 runs in the final three innings.

“We were happy to see the bats come alive,” Walter said.

First baseman Joe Beichert led the Colonial offensive attack. The junior went four-for-five with a pair of home runs, two doubles, five runs batted in and three runs scored. Ryan Dacey went three-for-five with a home run.

Freshman Rollie Corden pitched the final three innings without surrendering a run to earn his first save of the season.