Strauss edges Haber for EVP

Jesse Strauss says his election as the Student Association’s executive vice president will be bad news to GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg and other administrators.

“They will see that students like what I’ve been doing for the last two years,” he said.

Strauss, a Columbian School senator, said he had been “cautiously optimistic” during the campaign. Vote totals proved his intuition early Thursday morning as he garnered 52.98 percent, totaling 1,298 votes. Jason Haber received 45.92 percent with 1,125 votes.

“I feel really, really good,” Strauss said minutes after the announcement was made in J Street. “The students gave me a clear mandate.”

In the Senate, Strauss has worked to create a Tuition Action Director position this year, and organized a survey of student budgetary priorities for administrators and members of the Board of Trustees.

Strauss previously chaired the SA’s Dining Services Commission, where he worked to provide students with information on food services and extend J Street hours.

“I have a record of doing great stuff for the SA,” Strauss said. “I look at the big picture.”

“I tip my hat to Jesse and his campaign,” said opponent Haber, who is also a CSAS senator. “I’m sure he’ll make a wonderful EVP and if there is anything I can do to help, I’m available.”

Haber said he considers Strauss a friend, but believes that their friendship was strained by the race.

“As tends to happen in these kinds of things, we suffer battle scars,” Haber said. “I look forward to our continued friendship.”

After the results were announced, Haber and Strauss shook hands several times and made dinner plans.

Haber said he is proud of his campaign staff’s work. “We have nothing to be ashamed of tonight,” he said.

Haber’s campaign focused on implementing the Colonial Card, which would offer students discounts at local businesses, and providing a toll-free phone number for students to check grades.

“The best way for the Senate to be effective is to have tangible benefits for students,” he said.

Haber said he will continue to work on the SA presidential campaign for Patrick Macmanus, who advanced to a runoff with opponent Carrie Potter.

Strauss said he plans to disappear for a couple of weeks, preparing for midterms and enjoying spring break, though he said he will support Potter in the runoff.

Strauss said he plans soon to meet with newly-elected senators and learn their ideas.

“I’m really exhausted and I’m kind of numb to it right now,” Strauss said. “The ramifications of what happened will come tomorrow.”