Sports briefs

Four Colonials earn Atlantic 10 honors

Four players from the GW men’s basketball team earned recognition from the Atlantic 10 Conference Tuesday when the league handed out its awards for the 1997-’98 season.

Junior Shawnta Rogers was named to the second team All-Conference and the All-Defensive Team. No GW players were first team All-Conference selections.

Rogers averaged 14.4 points per game and led GW in scoring in the regular season. The 5-4 point guard also averaged 4.4 rebounds per game and recorded 145 assists, which placed him second in the league.

An excellent defender who often gave opposing teams’ point guards headaches, Rogers also was recognized for his defensive prowess by the A-10. He collected 73 steals this season and was among the league leaders in that category as well.

Junior Yegor Mescheriakov was named third team All-Conference. The 6-7 forward, who was slowed by a mid-season sprained ankle, averaged 13.0 ppg and pulled down 4.9 rpg for the Colonials.

Mescheriakov was also named to the All-Academic Team by virtue of his 3.57 grade-point average as an exercise science major.

Freshman Mike King, despite joining GW in January after being academically ineligible for the first semester, was named to the All-Rookie Team. King, a 6-5 guard, provided a scoring punch for GW late in the season, contributing 12.9 ppg.

Senior Alexander Koul joined Mescheriakov on the conference’s All-Academic Team with a 3.42 GPA while pursuing a master’s degree in business/project management.

Koul was also named to the GTE Men’s Basketball Academic All-District 2 University team for the third straight year. The 7-1 center averaged 12.8 ppg and 6.6 rpg and led the A-10 in field goal percentage (.585). He is also GW’s career leader in shots blocked and fifth on the school’s career scoring list with 1,631 points.-Dustin Gouker

GW to host selection show party

GW is holding an NCAA Tournament Selection party Sunday at 5:30 p.m. in the Marvin Center.

The announcement of the men’s and women’s NCAA Tournament brackets will be shown on television.

The GW women’s basketball team will be watching the selection show in the Smith Center’s Top-20 Club. The team will be joined by Top-20 Club members, faculty and the women’s basketball boosters group.-Dave Mann

Women’s rugby club beats Johns Hopkins

The GW women’s rugby club opened its spring season with a 15-0 win over Johns Hopkins Feb. 28.

Lauren Ensley, Sue Pakalapati and Allie Jenkins all scored for the Colonial women. GW will play at American University Saturday.-Dave Mann