GW splits pair on the road, earns regular season title

After mixed results in two road conference games, the GW women’s basketball team will gear up for the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament, which starts this week.

After losing to Massachusetts Thursday, the Colonial women (18-8, 12-4 A-10) came back to defeat Rhode Island Saturday and earn the program’s fifth consecutive A-10 regular season title. That means GW will host a quarterfinal game this Thursday at 7 p.m. against the winner of the Rhode Island/La Salle game Tuesday.

If GW wins Thursday, and the East Division’s top seed, UMass, wins as well, the team will travel to Amherst for the semifinal and final rounds. If GW wins and UMass loses, the Colonial women will host the semifinals and finals.

GW 68, Rhode Island 48The Colonial women held Rhode Island to 17 first-half points en route to an easy 68-48 victory Saturday in Kingston, RI.

The Colonial women outscored Rhode Island (6-20, 4-12 A-10) 35-17 in the first half, although the Lady Rams were able to stay even with them in the second half. Rhode Island shot just 35 percent from the field and 17 percent from beyond the three-point arc in the game.

Point guard Elisa Aguilar led GW with 24 points, including a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line, and five assists. Junior forward Noelia Gomez added 18 points, six rebounds and three blocks for GW, while sophomore Marlo Egleston nailed three three-pointers and poured in 13 points.

Amber Jansen scored 21 points for the Lady Rams.

UMass 68, GW 55Despite a 24-point effort from Noelia Gomez, the Colonial women fell 68-55 to UMass at Mullins Center Thursday.

Elisa Aguilar chipped in 13 points, but the rest of the team struggled on offense, hitting just eight of its 24 attempts from the field.

UMass’ offense was clicking on all cylinders, though. Tez Kraft and Kathy Coyner scored 25 and 22 points for the Minutewomen, respectively. UMass also hit 22 of 26 free throw attempts and shot a blistering 46 percent from the three-point line.

UMass led 26-24 at halftime, but a three-pointer by Gomez at the start of the second half gave GW a 27-26 lead with 18:35 to go. The Minutewomen, though, went on a 10-0 run during the next 2:56 to take a lead that they would never relinquish.

GW garners A10 honorsThree Colonial women received recognition from the Atlantic 10 Conference as the regular season came to a close Saturday.

Junior forward Noelia Gomez was named first team All-Conference as the only unanimous selection. Gomez leads GW in scoring and is fourth in the league, averaging 17.8 points per game.

Sophomore guard Elisa Aguilar was named Rookie of the Year, sharing the honor with Tere Williams of Virginia Tech. Aguilar is fifth in the conference in scoring, averaging 16.4 points per game. She also is among the conference leaders in assists, steals, field goal percentage, three-point percentage and free throw percentage.

Sophomore guard Chasity Myers was named the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year, the first time a GW player has earned that honor. Myers was an All-Rookie Team selection a year ago.