Bar Belle

Originally Published 02/19/98

Bar: Buffalo BilliardsWhere: 1330 19th St. N.W.Crowd: Young professionalsGetting in: Try to be 21Prices: ModerateFood: Bar food, great nachosDancing: Practically nonePick-ups: TONS!Pluses: Pool tablesMinuses: Waiting for a table

Having gone on Valentine’s Day, the crowd may have been a bit different from normal – but it was comprised of mostly young, attractive and single men. The Bar Belle had to wait for a pool table for an hour, but it was well worth it. The prices for renting a table are reasonable and go by the hour and number of people shooting. The sign only has prices up to four people, so we cheated and sneaked in six. It’s not difficult. We just had to rotate players.

The bar is set off Dupont Circle on 19th Street. And while it is in a funky part of town, the people are pretty straight-laced. Ties are found around necks at every turn. Some people wear jeans, and they are not uncomfortable. But in order to really fit in, a step or two up from kakhis would be best.

They have $2 draft lights, which taste horrible the first two times, but by the third, the Bar Belle was happy enough with only having spent eight bucks – always tip, ladies! – and anything would have tasted fine. And surprisingly, it was really easy to get to the bar and get a drink. Being kind of off the beaten path, it is not a bar people go to just drink.

But that also makes it difficult to meet new people if one is not too forward. People come with friends and shoot pool, pausing for quick beer runs to the bar. It seems the best place to meet people is by the dart boards. More mingling goes on there.

However, it is not impossible to meet people. It is best to go with friends and buddy up to a table nearby. Be friendly and it’s easy to make new, fun acquaintances.