GW places second in UNH Invitational, loses at UMass

The GW women’s gymnastics team finished second of four teams at the University of New Hampshire Invitational Saturday, then lost a close meet at Massachusetts two days later.

A team score of 48.775 on the bars propelled UMass to a 193.925-191.325 win over GW Monday. The Colonial women fell behind by two points on the bars with a team score of 46.775. Michelle Lopresti (9.7), Anita Sanyal (9.80) and Jobi Goldberg (9.75) led the Minutewomen on the bars.

Alexis Hrynko had GW’s highest score in two events. Hrynko scored a 9.8 average on the vault and a 9.825 on the floor exercise to lead the Colonial women. Shari Doulman led GW with a 9.9 on the beam, the only event in which GW outscored UMass.

Saturday, GW finished second at the New Hampshire Invitational. The Colonial women’s team score of 190.275 was second only to host New Hampshire’s team score of 193.250. Illinois State University finished third and Bridgeport College placed fourth.

Dolman had GW’s highest score on the beam with a 9.725 average, which placed her fifth overall on the beam. Stephanie Goldsmith had GW’s highest score on the floor exercise with a 9.725.

Hrynko and Darden Wilee each competed in every event for the Colonial women. Hrynko’s 9.775 was GW’s highest score on the vault and was good enough for second overall on the vault.

Wilee finished third in the all-around competition, which ranks those who competed in every event. Her combined score of 38.325 in four events trailed only Denise Gregorio of New Hampshire and Michelle Huston of Illinois State.

GW will travel to the N.C. State Hearts Invitational Sunday.