Colonial women defeat Temple

With a victory over Temple Monday night the GW women’s basketball team is back in familiar territory, tied with Duquesne for first place in the Atlantic 10 West Division.

After shooting 54 percent from the field in the first half, the Colonial women had to hold off a surging Owls team to win 68-58 at the Smith Center.

wbbHeading into the locker room with a 20-point lead at 41-21, GW faced a 19-4 Temple run to start the second half.

“Temple played well, especially in the second half,” GW head coach Joe McKeown said. “It turned out to be a better game than I thought it would be. We got in foul trouble, and offensively I thought we stood around a lot. We stopped playing the way we were capable of playing.”

GW was able to hold its lead, though. Freshman guard Corrin Reid provided a spark when she scored five straight points in the second half for the Colonial woman. Reid finished with seven points, tying her season high.

“Fortunately we made some plays at the end, and Gomez made a couple big plays – that’s why she’s an All-American,” McKeown said.

Gomez finished with a team-high 29 points on 11-19 shooting, one more than her 28-point performance against Fordham Friday.

She is on track to score her 1,000th career point this season. If she does, she will be the first Colonial woman to reach that milestone in her second season.

While Gomez carried the scoring load, several different players contributed in various ways. Chasity Myers and Marlo Egleston each grabbed seven rebounds. Although point guard Elisa Aguilar struggled from three-point range, missing all five of her attempts, she had a team-high eight assists.

“Everybody contributed tonight,” McKeown said. “In the first half we got to play a lot of people, but we’re still not where I’d like us to be at this time of year.”

One of the highlights of the game was the long-awaited return of center Khadija Deas and forward Katarina Baskova to the floor. Deas, who had been out of the rotation with a knee injury since Jan. 22, played 15 minutes. Baskova had been sidelined with a sprained ankle since Jan. 4.

“It was exciting just from the standpoint to be able to have people back, and even though they got limited time, just being able to practice will make us better,” McKeown said.

The game also marked McKeown’s 200th victory after 9 years of coaching at GW.

“It’s been a great run, nine years. You have to give a lot of credit to my coaching staff and all these great players we’ve had,” McKeown said.

With just four games remaining in the season, each one is crucial for GW. Friday the Colonial women travel to La Salle – a team they beat 74-47 earlier in the season.

“La Salle is very competitive,” McKeown said. “Their record’s not that great, but you can’t take anyone for granted.”

GW returns to play its important final home game against Duquesne Sunday.