News Briefs

Career Week highlights opportunities

More than 30 events will help students with various majors get organized for the corporate world during the Career Center’s Career Week Feb. 9-13.

“Employers can mingle with students and give students the opportunity to network,” said Career Center Public Relations Coordinator Jonathan Klonsky.

The week will open with “R?sum?s for First Timers,” in which students can learn how to create a r?sum? for internships and first jobs.

Career Cafe, which will be held Wednesday from 5:30 to 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center Colonial Commons, is an informal coffee house during which liberal arts majors can interact with potential employers, Klonsky said.

A new Career Week event called “Interviewmania” will give students an opportunity to take a 20-minute practice interview followed by a 10-minute critique.

The complete Career Week schedule can be found online at http://www.gwu.edu/~career.

-Laura Hertzfeld

CDs and CLs debate health care

College Democrats and College Libertarians argued health care funding during their “Great Health Care Debate” Wednesday night.

“Health care should be a right in America, not a privilege,” said CD member Robert Tankersley.

Both sides agreed that one of seven Americans lacks health care services, but disagreed about how to resolve the dilemma.

CLs said hospital privatization and medical savings accounts may be the answer.

“We’re heading in the wrong direction,” said CL member Eric Zimmerman. “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – I don’t think that health care falls in there.”

“We should be extremely cautious in adopting (medical savings accounts), because there is no evidence to suggest that sort of system will work,” Tankersley said.

CL President Lisa Stanowski said no need exists for everyone to pay higher taxes for Medicare and Medicaid.

“I strongly believe that Americans give a lot to charity,” she said.

-Danny Freedman

GW covers sex and the president

In the midst of scandal surrounding President Clinton, GW professors discussed “Sex, the Presidency and Public Policy”- and the latest trend of “politainment,” or politics as entertainment.

Robert Stoker, associate professor of political science, said he saw an “institutional change” during the Clinton presidency of questioning the credibility of a leader and holding him under suspicion and investigation.

“We have an undue reverence for law in America. We mistakenly view law as non-political.” Stoker said this view puts the president under a microscope and holds him to higher standards than the rest of the population.

Jean Folkerts, director of the School of Media and Public Affairs, said that 24-hour news coverage improves spot news coverage, but hinders the development of investigative news stories.

-Laura Hertzfeld