GW soars to 17-3 with road wins

The GW men’s basketball team went on the road this weekend and continued amassing wins, topping Fordham Thursday and Duquesne Saturday.

The Colonials (17-3, 6-1 Atlantic 10) have won four straight games and 12 of their last 13. GW won both games without junior forward Yegor Mescheriakov, the team’s leading scorer. Mescheriakov still is sidelined by a sprained ankle suffered against Xavier Jan. 14. Mescheriakov has not practiced since the injury, but he has six days to recover before GW’s next game. The Colonials face Virginia Tech Saturday at the Smith Center.

With two more conference wins and Xavier’s loss to Dayton Saturday, GW moves two games ahead of the Musketeers in the A-10’s West Division.

The Colonials continue their best start in 44 years. GW won 19 of its first 20 games in 1953-’54.

GW 94, Duquesne 83

Freshman Mike King rebounded from a poor game at Fordham to score a career-high 24 points, and center Alexander Koul added 17 points and six rebounds to lead GW to a 94-83 win over Duquesne Saturday in Pittsburgh.

King, who shot 1-7 Thursday at Fordham, was 10-17 from the field and added six rebounds and four assists. Koul and freshman forward Antxon Iturbe controlled the middle. GW outscored the Dukes 55-34 in the lane. Iturbe finished with nine points and 13 rebounds.

The Colonials got 14 points and six assists from guard Shawnta Rogers and did not trail after the 15-minute mark of the first half. The Colonials held Duquesne (8-11, 3-4 A-10) to 38 percent shooting in the first half and built a 13-point lead by halftime.

GW’s lead peaked at 85-61 with five minutes remaining in the game. Duquesne made the score closer in the final minutes, but the outcome of the game was never in doubt. GW has won eight straight against Duquesne, including both games this season.

The Dukes were led by guard Mike James’ 22 points, but James was slowed by foul trouble and eventually fouled out in the closing minutes.

GW continues to shoot well. The Colonials hit 54 percent of their shots against Duquesne. Much of GW’s success this season can be traced to the team’s improved shooting from last season. Coach Mike Jarvis credits GW’s improved shooting to his team getting more shots around the basket.

“Anytime a team shoots over 50 percent, that says to me that they’re getting a lot of easy baskets,” Jarvis said.

GW 71, Fordham 65

Thursday’s 71-65 win over Fordham wasn’t GW’s finest performance of the season, but the Colonials played well enough to win their 16th game of the year and keep Fordham winless in the A-10.

The Rams (4-12, 0-6 A-10) got 23 points from freshman Bevon Robin and shot 52 percent in the second half to keep the game close. But the Colonials hung on despite 19 turnovers and shooting just 24-40 from the free throw line.

Rogers set a career high with 26 points, and Koul had 18 points and 10 rebounds. However, Fordham was able to keep the game close despite shooting 21 percent in the first half and trailing 38-25 at halftime.

GW shot 48 percent as a team, but King had his worst game as a Colonial, shooting 1-7 from the field and scoring seven points in 25 minutes.