News Briefs

French leaves GW to serve as chancellor in Middle East

University Honors Program Associate Director Roderick French will serve as the first chancellor of a new American-style university in the United Arab Emirates.

French, a philosophy professor, was previously the director of University seminars for the honors program and is the faculty adviser for ex nihilo, GW’s undergraduate research journal.

He also has served as the University’s vice president for academic affairs and director of the division of special programs.

As chancellor, an office equivalent to the president at a U.S. institution, French will be responsible for hiring faculty members and recruiting students at the American University of Sharjah.

The university opened in the fall of 1997 with a few hundred students, but the coed institution plans to grow to about 4,000 students.

It will offer 18 majors in four schools: arts and sciences, business and management, architecture and applied arts, and engineering and technology.

-Becky Neilson

GW Forum is accepting essays for the spring

The GW Forum now is accepting essays on the topic of creativity.

Personal essays can range from the lack of creativity caused by technological advancements to the understanding of oneself in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Submissions should be 1,000 words. Essays can be mailed to the GW Forum at 764 Rome Hall and put to the attention of Debra Bruno. The deadline for submission of personal essays is Feb. 13.

-Monique L. Harding