GW opens season by beating Hoyas

Tajama Abraham, Colleen McCrea and Lisa Cermignano were not on the court for the Colonial women Tuesday, but Noelia Gomez and Elisa Aguilar were, and they led the GW women’s basketball to team to a 83-62 season-opening win at Georgetown.

Aguilar, a sophmore guard, led all scorers with 19 points. Gomez chipped in 17 points and eight rebounds as GW (1-0) played its first regular-season game without the three senior leaders of last year’s team.

The Colonial women held the Lady Hoyas to 32 percent shooting and took advantage of their height advantage to out rebound Georgetown 53-32, including 17 offensive rebounds

GW also shot well from the outside. The Colonial women hit 36 percent of their three pointers, including three from Aguilar.

“I think (Aguilar) has a chance to be a great player,” Coach Joe McKeown told The Washington Post. “She is a great floor leader because her vision on the court is tremendous.”

Abraham, who is vacationing from her professional team in Italy, was in attendance Tuesday to see GW open its season with a win.

The Colonial women opened up a double-digit lead in the first half. GW held Georgetown to 29 percent first-half shooting in building a 41-25 lead going into halftime. The Colonial women also got solid contributions from freshman forward Petra Dubovcova, who had 10 points and seven rebounds, and center Khadija Deas, who added nine points and nine rebounds.

The Colonial women will play their home opener Saturday against Atlantic Coast Conference powerhouse North Carolina State University at 2 p.m.