Matchbox 20 and Lili Haydn play to an enthusiastic crowd

matchbox20 The line to get in curved around the block Sunday night at the 9:30 Club. Hordes of fans, a mixed crowd of suburban high schoolers, college students and 20-somethings, waited for Matchbox 20 to perform.

Lili Haydn, a musician formerly with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, opened for Matchbox 20. She recently expanded her horizons by writing several songs reminiscent of groups like October Project and Luscious Jackson. Haydn is innovative in her use of the violin in rock, but at times the sound of the violin does not mix well with the vocals and amplifiers.

On stage she appears young and small, with her hair in Pippy-Longstocking pigtails. Her band also differs from the norm, including a cellist who complements the violin. Her self-titled album recently was released.

Although Haydn performed well, Matchbox 20 was the star of the show.

“Every show is a new little adventure,” said lead guitarist Kyle Cook in a phone interview Oct. 24. If this show is any indication, Matchbox 20 is well on its way to a big adventure in the music world.

The group exploded on stage, focusing its attention on lesser-known songs from its debut album, Yourself or Someone Like You (Atlantic). It also played a couple of new songs that may appear on its next album. Matchbox 20 saved its hit single, Push , for last.

The audience was a devoted one, with the majority of fans singing all the songs. The new songs, “You and I and I” and “Tired,” are upbeat ballads. The band introduced these songs as “something extra” for those who came to the concert.

During the past few months, aside from the concert tour, group members have appeared on “The Late Show with David Letterman” and opened for the Rolling Stones. Matchbox 20’s album now has sold more than three million copies.