Green U improves GW recycling

GW’s Green University informed students about the importance of recycling at their first GW Recycles Day, modeled after America Recycles Day, on the Quad Saturday.

“One of the main purposes of today is dispensing important information. Our main goal is to increase the efficiency of GW’s system and to let people know that they can play a part . they have a voice,” junior Allison Cammack said.

Display tables offered specific information about GW’s recycling program. Students learned which products can or can not be recycled. For example, water bottles are recyclable, but their tops can not be recycled through GW’s program.

Difficult to recycle items, such as furniture, motor oil, batteries, paints, appliances, clothing and books were collected to be taken to the Montgomery County Recycling Plant.

“I have found a lot of problems with GW recycling. Students don’t have sufficient recycling information and believe a lot of rumors about the system,” said Ivan Urlaub, president of Campus Outdoor Recreation Enthusiasts.

“It’s just such a crazy system,” freshman Mike Reigelman, who coordinated the program, said. “The whole purpose (of the event) is information.”

A petition was circulated to push for improving GW’s recycling program.

Other central activities included potting an ivy plant in a recycled container, such as a soda can or water bottle. Students also made stationery by recycling paper products like magazines.

Several GW groups worked together to facilitate the recycling activities. CORE members provided volunteer support, the Program Board publicized the event and the Student Association funded the event, Reigelman said.

Residence hall residents also are contributing to the environmental effort.

Freshman Lauren Mazer is heading the new Environmental Residence Hall Representative Program, co-sponsored by the SA and the Green University.

Environmental representatives from each residence hall will coordinate hall recycling programs and a competition to take place from Jan. 12 to March 12 is also in the works, she said.

Mazer said she hopes to “integrate environmental issues with residence hall living.”