Come to Funger Tuesday and be heard

Everyone’s heard the phrase, “Put your money where your mouth is.” Well, when it comes to the issue of Commencement, I encourage students to “put your mouth where your money is.”

As you probably know, the University is considering changing the tradition of holding graduation on the Ellipse. This proposal is anything but final, and is being discussed by a 21-person committee appointed by President Trachtenberg.

Proponents of holding graduation in the MCI Center say students are concerned about how their tuition dollars are spent, and put forth that holding Commencement in the new location would save money.

It is true that students are concerned about how their money is spent. However, the many phone calls, letters and e-mails the Student Association has received in recent weeks indicates that many would rather have their tuition dollars spent on an Ellipse Commencement.

As one of the student representatives on the recommendation committee, I have been doing my part to take the lead in making sure that students’ voices are heard. Indeed, I see it as my job to put members of the committee in touch with what you, the students, want and expect.

Therefore, I have set up a Commencement town hall meeting that will be held Tuesday, Nov. 18 at 8:00 p.m. in Funger 103. The Commencement Committee will be there to hear your voices and to address your questions.

q.golparvar This issue already has brought together more people than any other issue I have ever seen. I hope every student who has stopped me on the street makes it a point to come to this town hall meeting and bring everyone they know. This is the time students should take action!

During my four years here, there have been very few issues I have seen students get as worked up about as the issue of where Commencement will be held. Now you need to take action. Many have asked whether or not coming to this town hall meeting will make a difference. After talking to the committee people, I can tell you that it will.

One promise I gladly will make is that you will be listened to. But only if you make your voices heard Tuesday night. As students, we need to unify, come together and work toward a cause we all believe in as a group! With that said, I expect to see everyone who has something to say about this issue at the Commencement town hall meeting.

You have heard your friends talk about it, you have heard your friends complain about it, now is the time to do something about it! Nov. 18 at 8:00 p.m. in Funger 103 – don’t miss it!

-The writer is president of the Student Association.