GW splashes to sixth place in fall finale

Playing on one of the brightest new golf courses on the East Coast, GW only could muster a faint glimmer as it finished in sixth place at the 12-team Delaware Fall Invitational in Owings Mills, Md.

Colonials head coach Scott Allen said last week his team had a chance to win this last tournament of the fall season, but horrid first-round weather and a poor outing by senior captain Luis Barrutieta doomed GW (646).

Cave Valley Golf Course, which Allen predicts will hold a major professional golf tournament soon, is just five years old. Thus, it was an appropriate place for Colonial freshmen to shine.

On Monday, the Colonials sloshed around the course, which was submerged under nearly four inches of rain. Freshman Gavin Parsons (160, 18-over par) proved to be a streak of sunlight through the wind and rain, shooting a 76. The score placed him second in the individual field after one round.

Allen said he thought the scores would improve on the second day with better weather. Freshman Michael Goldman (156) took the thought as an order and shot a second-round 73 – the second-best score of the round – to finish tied for ninth.

“I’ve expected Mike to play well all year,” Allen said. “He just had to get used to playing college golf and dealing with the different level of pressure.”

Barrutieta (169) completed a disappointing fall season with one of the worst tournaments of his career.

“Luis had a horrible tournament. I’ve never seen him hit the ball as poorly,” Allen said. He added that he is not sure what was wrong with Barrutieta’s game this fall.

Allen said Barrutieta has been working on his mechanics on the practice range, but he has not been able to turn the adjustments into success on the course.

Considering Barrutieta’s struggles, Allen said he was impressed with the team’s play this fall and that he looks forward to the spring season.

“We’re only going to get better,” he said.