UMass tops GW for fifth straight year in A-10

Lightning isn’t supposed to strike the same place twice, let alone five times.

That’s what happened this weekend, though, as the GW women’s soccer team lost to Massachusetts in the Atlantic 10 Tournament for the fifth straight year.

This year, GW (13-6-2) lost to first-seeded UMass 1-0 in the final of the tournament, the same score the Minutewomen beat the Colonial women by in last season’s A-10 semifinals.

It is likely that the loss ended GW’s season, with more automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament being given to conference champions. The new system allows little room for potential at-large bids like GW to make their way into the tournament.

Also this weekend, three GW players were honored by the A-10 Conference. Senior forward Chemar Smith, who became the school’s all-time leading point and goal scorer this season, was named first team All-Conference. Senior midfielder Carri Sellers and freshman midfielder Lauren Papalia made second team All-Conference.

UMass 1, GW 0

UMass’ Kara Green blasted a shot into the corner of GW’s net with less than 10 minutes left in regulation to beat the Colonial women and win the A-10 Championship held at Xavier.

With the win, UMass (17-4) earned a spot in the 1997 NCAA Tournament field.

GW stuck with the Minutewomen all game, though, as the team was only outshot 12-10. GW goalie Traci Jensen made six saves in the game, while Jane Andersen had four of the Colonial women’s shots.

GW 2, Xavier 1

Jane Andersen scored four minutes into overtime to lift GW to a 2-1 victory over Xavier in the semifinals of the A-10 Tournament.

Carri Sellers directed a free kick to Andersen at the 93:59 mark, which the junior forward put in the goal to put the Colonial women in the finals of the tournament.

GW jumped in front early when Andersen sent a blast past Xavier goalie Ann Hubbard, who made saves on nine of the Colonial women’s shots, at the 5:44 mark.

Xavier came back to tie the game with less than eight minutes left to go in regulation time. Holly Grow headed in a pass from Amanda Gruber to tie the score and force overtime.

The Colonial women had the better opportunities offensively, outshooting the Musketeers 19-14, although GW’s top two scorers coming into the game, Chemar Smith and Lauren Papalia, each had four shots but no points.