Noelia Gomez is ready for second year at GW

A year ago, GW women’s basketball star Noelia Gomez was a stranger in a place she now calls home. Still thinking of her mother’s cooking in Madrid, Spain, Gomez had no idea what was in store for her at GW.

Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year. Second team A-10 All-Conference Team. A-10 All-Rookie Team. A-10 All-Tournament Team. Her growing list of accolades goes along with being part of the first GW team to advance to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight.

“For me, being on the first team in GW to get so far in the NCAA – we made a record, doing something that nobody in GW did before – that’s what I’m most proud of,” Gomez said.

But that was last year, and Gomez is back with a year of experience under her belt. As much as last year was a surprise, this year could bring even more excitement.

“I think that the difference is that now I have last year’s experience, and now I know more about the United States and about GW. It’s kind of easier – I’m adapted here and last year everything was new,” Gomez said.

While Gomez may be used to the city and school, she now must acquaint herself with six new teammates.

“We have a new team. I think it’s completely different from last year. Right now we don’t know too much about each other,” Gomez said. But Gomez said she feels the team is improving and getting to know each other better ever day.

“I think we have a very nice team this year. I think we have a more balanced team right now. We are better than last year, we are practicing better than last year, and we are close,” she said.

As a returnee from last year’s squad, Gomez has switched roles and is helping the younger players adjust to college basketball.

“This year we have no seniors, so I guess the juniors have to be like the seniors,” Gomez said. “I think what I have to do this year is to try to help the team, do my best, and try to be like a senior – try to help as much as I can.”

On the court the 6-3 forward should continue to be a dominant presence. After being fourth in the A-10 in scoring last year, averaging 17.5 points per game and finishing second in field goal percentage at 52.6, Gomez is expected to continue scoring for the Colonial women.

Gomez was also strong on the boards, finishing ninth in the conference, averaging seven rebounds per game.

“I think what I have to do is just be in every game, concentrate. I need to rebound, I need to score, I need to play defense, I need to do everything,” Gomez said. “But not only me, we have a team – we don’t have individual players – we have team players and everybody has to do each thing.”