Play promises one wild ride

Fasten your seat belts, folks. “Lend Me A Tenor” is going to be one wild ride.

From Nov. 6-9, GW’s Theater and Dance Department presents its second main stage production at the Marvin Center Theater. Ken Ludwig’s “Lend Me A Tenor” promises to be an unforgettable evening of fun and excitement.

The famed Italian opera tenor Tito Morelli is coming to Cleveland, Ohio to give a performance of the tragedy “Othello.” Saunders, the general manager of the Cleveland Grand Opera Company, assigns his assistant Max to the seemingly easy task of keeping an eye on alcohol and women-loving Tito before the show. No problem, right?

A series of outrageous mishaps, including false assumptions, mistaken identity and blazing lust, ensue in this hilarious comedy of errors.

“For a while we’ve been wanting to do a farce,” said director Alan Wade. “A senior last year wanted to do `Noises Off,’ a British comedy, but we would have needed the set done way in advance in order to rehearse the scenes. `Lend Me A Tenor’ is very similar, in its physical humor and theme of mistaken identity. It’s also written by a Washington resident (Ludwig).”

The play depends greatly on its over-the-top physical humor, which can be very demanding on the actors.

“The energy level must be high throughout the play,” Wade said. “And the actors are doing a wonderful job.”

Included in the cast are Michael Laurino as Tito, Chris Hahn as Max, Craig Geiling as Saunders, Stephanie Braun as Saunders’ daughter Maggie and Josh Rubin as Frank, the bellhop.

Laurino and Rubin, who are both members of the GW Troubadours, also lend their voices to certain scenes in the play.

The set, a fancy hotel suite, was designed by graduate student Barbara Brennan, and the lighting designed by guest artist Lynn Joslin. William Pucilowsky, who has won the prestigious Helen Hayes award for costume design, created the costumes.

“Lend Me A Tenor,” a sensation on Broadway, won the 1989 Tony Award for Best Play.

“Lend Me A Tenor” plays at the Marvin Center Theater Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m., and a matinee Sunday at 2 p.m.