MVC’s fate still unclear

Plans for the status of Mount Vernon College have yet to be determined, but will be finalized in the near future, GW Director of Public Affairs Mike Freedman said.

Despite receiving financial help from GW since last year, MVC has not attained financial stability. Now the University is trying to decide the fate of the college, which became affiliated with GW in Oct. 1996.

Students of the all-women’s college on Foxhall Road in Northwest, Washington were told the recommended course of action for their school’s future would be announced last Friday.

But no decision was announced at the Board of Trustees meeting at the Visitors’ Center Friday.

MVC junior Anne Bell said she wants the necessary time to be taken to make this important decision. But she added she hopes a decision will be reached soon.

“I feel we have been left in the dark as far as what’s going on. This is a big decision and we all have a right to know,” Bell said.

GW Student Association President Kuyomars “Q” Golparvar said the MVC student body’s attitude amidst uncertainty is commendable.

“The students have been really upbeat though the uncertainty of their future makes them uneasy. It makes them uneasy, but the students are great and full of energy and optimism,” Golparvar said.