GW earns shutout victories over Temple, St. Joseph’s

The GW women’s soccer team won twice this weekend at South Riding Field, finishing up its regular season schedule with a record of 12-5-2, 9-2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

With the two victories, the Colonial women earned the second seed in the A-10 Tournament next weekend, where they will face Xavier, the third seed.

Also this weekend, senior Chemar Smith broke the school’s all-time goals scored record in Sunday’s win over St. Joseph’s.

GW 6, St. Joe’s 0

The Colonial women handily defeated St. Joseph’s Sunday 6-0 as Chemar Smith broke yet another GW record.

Smith scored two goals in the game (23rd and 55th minutes) to break the all-time goals scored record with 45 total goals in her career, surpassing Diane Kelly’s mark of 44 (1986-87).

“Chemar is a tremendous player,” head coach Shannon Higgins-Cirovski said. “I am very happy that she has made these goals that we had set for her this season. She has all the tools of a great player. She is fast and strong, which makes her a dangerous player to face.”

Senior Carri Sellers scored the first goal for GW in the 10th minute of the game. After Smith’s first goal, Lauren Komar scored her first career goal in the 29th minute, putting the Colonial women up 3-0 at halftime.

Smith scored the first goal of the second half, followed by junior Jane Andersen’s two goals, which came in the 75th and the 81st minutes.

With the regular season now over, GW is looking ahead to the A-10 Tournament, which starts Friday. Winning two games at the tournament is the only way the Colonial women can return to the NCAA Tournament this season.

“We are in a do-or-die situation,” Higgins-Cirovski said. “The team is really excited and we are ready.”

GW 2, Temple 0

On Halloween, GW defeated the Temple Owls by a score of 2-0 on goals by Chemar Smith and freshman Lauren Papalia.

In the fifth minute of the game, Papalia scored her ninth goal of the season, beating Temple’s goalie from five yards out.

In the 66th minute of the game, Jane Anderson and Lauren Papalia both assisted Smith to give GW a 2-0 lead that was never challenged by the Owls.

GW outshot Temple 13-2, and GW goalkeeper Traci Jensen only had to save one shot to register the shutout.