Colonials fall to surprising Xavier, Dayton on the road

The GW men’s soccer team lost two games on the road this weekend to Atlantic 10 rivals Xavier and Dayton, both of which are having surprisingly good seasons.

Xavier is now 7-1 in the A-10 conference, while Dayton is 6-3. The Flyers finished the season undefeated at home after beating GW.

In the preseason A-10 coaches’ poll, Xavier was predicted to finish eighth, while Dayton was expected to finish 10th out of the 12 teams in the conference. Last year, Xavier finished 2-8 in the A-10. Dayton finished 6-5.

The Colonials are now 4-11-1 overall, 2-6-1 in conference play and have two games left in the season.

Ben Ferry had two assists in this weekend’s matches. He only needed one, however, to break the record held by Marcelo Valencia (1991-1994) for all-time assists. Ferry now has 42 career assists.

Dayton 3, GW 1

Omar Sigtryggsson scored his eleventh goal of the season Sunday against Dayton, but it was not enough to get a win over the Flyers.

Sigtryggsson scored the Colonials’ lone goal at the 24-minute mark when Dayton already was up 2-0. Dayton scored its first goal in the 15th minute and scored again just one minute later.

Ben Ferry assisted on the goal by passing the ball across the box to Sigtryggsson. It was Ferry’s 42nd career assist.

Flyer Emmanuel Ayim, who scored the first goal of the game, also scored Dayton’s third goal in the 68th minute.

Xavier 3, GW 2

The Colonials fell to the Musketeers Friday on a road trip through Ohio.

In the first half, Matt Ferry scored a goal only half a minute after Xavier scored the first goal of the match. Ferry was assisted by Ben Digger and his brother, Ben Ferry.

Ben Ferry’s assist on this goal broke GW’s record for all-time assists.

Craig Jones scored late in the 88th minute with an assist from Scott Zmrahl, but Xavier was able to hold on for the win.