Web opens job search

GW’s academic schools are using the internet and e-mail databases to help students find paid positions, internships for credit or jobs that simply offer valuable learning experiences.

The School of Media and Public Affairs e-mails journalism students each week to let them know about new job openings and internships in journalism around D.C. The school also lists available jobs on its Web site, www.gwu.edu/~smpa.

“Most SMPA students have an internship, and more internships are offering an hourly wage or stipend,” said Heath Brown, who generates the list of openings for the SMPA and sends it out to students.

Brown said students in any school are free to look up internships and jobs placed on the Web site, which currently advertises jobs with employers such as National Geographic, The Boston Globe and congressional offices, among others. Some of the listings are outdated because deadlines have passed.

Professor Charles Toftoy helps students in the School of Business and Public Management find internships. As the school’s faculty coordinator for cooperative education for the past 10 years, Toftoy has linked business students with their ideal jobs and internships.

The business school partners with 122 employers that provide jobs for 230 students. The typical internship requires 15 to 25 hours of work a week. Students are placed in businesses such Lockheed Martin, Merrill Lynch, the National Science Foundation and the Smithsonian Institution. Their responsibilities range from helping analyze market studies, designing Web sites and database support. Starting salaries for most of the positions range from $7 to $18 an hour for undergraduate students and $10 to $45 an hour for graduate students.

“Many students roll over from internship to employment,” Toftoy said.

Students in the Elliot School of International Affairs also have a way to find in summer internships and jobs that fit their interests. ESIA Student Service Director Jim Fry helps students receive credit once they find an internship, for which the student must write a 30-page paper with a pass/no pass option. Otherwise, the internship can show up on a student’s transcript but not for academic credit.

He urges students to attend career fairs and seek help from the career center to find appropriate employment.

“Many of our students have an internship in government and non-profit organizations, such as Amnesty International, the White House and various embassies,” Fry said.

The Columbian School of Arts and Sciences directs most students to either the department that handles their major or the Career Center. Individual departments, such as the Romance Languages and Literature Department, offer jobs and internships posted on bulletin boards outside classrooms and offices. The Theatre and Dance Department posts job offers in the front of its offices on the second floor of the Marvin Center, and the philosophy department also posts internship opportunities on bulletin boards on fifth floor of the Academic Center.