Inaugural weekend makeup guide

Between inaugural balls, parades and protests, you’ll want to look your best for one of D.C.’s biggest weekends. Our makeup must-haves are perfect for anyone who wants to look a little more glam during inaugural weekend, whether you plan on splurging or saving.

Setting spray

Make sure your makeup lasts from the parade until last call with a setting spray to lock in your inauguration look. Urban Decay’s All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray ($15 for one ounce or $31 for four ounces) keeps your makeup budge-proof for hours with only a few sprays, no matter your skin type. For those who want a setting spray that keeps the shine away too, NYX Cosmetics’ Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray ($7.99) wards off D.C.’s year-long humidity with long-lasting mattifying power.

Highlighter

Whether you’re planning on attending an inaugural ball or marching in a protest, be sure you’re glowing the whole way through with a luminescent highlighter. Beauty aficionados swear by BECCA’s Pressed Shimmering Skin Perfector in Champagne Pop ($38), a creamy powder highlighter that gives skin a soft, peachy glow. If you’re looking for an ethereal glow without breaking the bank, L’Oréal’s True Match Lumi Powder Glow Illuminator ($12.99) comes in three shades to complement a variety of skin tones.

Mascara

From braving the cold weather to protest or watch the parade, to busting a move on the dance floor, make sure your lashes always look bold with a long-lasting mascara. Stila’s Huge Extreme Lash Mascara ($23) delivers maximum volume with day-long staying power. CoverGirl’s LashBlast Volume Mascara ($8.99) comes in multiple colors and is a makeup artist favorite.

Lip balm

Being out in the cold January weather all day will likely chap your lips, so here’s what you need to keep them lipstick-ready before you head out for the night. For just a few bucks, you can grab Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve ($6) to sooth dry skin with a satiny finish. To fix dry lips with a pop of color, try FRESH’s Sugar Lip Treatment ($24). With 10 different shades to choose from, you can rock a warm nude or bold red lip without drying out.

Face mask

After a weekend full of balls, parades and protests, relax and clear your skin with a range of face masks. Origins’ Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask ($24) clears pores with a blend of bamboo charcoal and white China clay. To moisturize and soothe your skin, pick up a Tony Moly I’m Real Aloe Sheet Mask ($3.75), which will bring moisture back to your face after an event-packed weekend.