String of laptop thefts reported on campus

There have been at least three laptop thefts on campus in the last three weeks.

The thefts, which have been in both residence halls and academic buildings, all remain unsolved. A University spokeswoman said the University Police Department does not believe that the thefts are related.

Two students in Guthridge Hall left their rooms unlocked when they left the room and noticed the laptops were stolen when they returned last month. On the same day, another student reported her laptop missing after she left it in a classroom in Academic Center.

All three of the crimes were originally listed as thefts in the University’s crime log. The classification for the two incidents in Guthridge Hall were later changed to non-forcible burglaries in the crime log.

University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said in an email students should call UPD or use GW’s anonymous tip line if they know more about the laptop thefts.

“We want to remind residents to always lock their doors – even when stepping out to go down the hall to visit a friend and especially before going to sleep. We will continue to investigate these incidents, and when appropriate ask MPD for assistance,” Csellar said referring to the Metropolitan Police Department.

Last year, the University changed the way that they determine whether crimes were classified as burglaries or thefts, more commonly classifying crimes burglaries – which are more serious offenses. Burglaries on campus nearly doubled last year compared to 2014, UPD Chief RaShall Brackney said.

At least six students reported their laptops stolen to UPD last year.