Alumnus’s family moves into former provost residence

Keren Carrion | Staff Photographer
Keren Carrion | Staff Photographer

The house formerly owned by GW on W Street has sat empty since its previous inhabitant Provost Steven Lerman stepped down at the end of 2015.

Now, the home is full of unpacked cardboard boxes and children’s toys as its newest residents, alumnus Noah Raizman, his wife Courtney Raizman and their two-year-old daughter Maddie, bring the charming three-story estate back to life.

“We’re still in boxes now, but we’re excited to be here,” Raizman said.

Raizman, a Pittsburgh native who graduated from GW’s orthopedic residency program in 2011, and his wife purchased the home adjacent to the Mount Vernon Campus for $1.725 million late last month. The University had owned the property since 1999.

Raizman is not only maintaining his GW ties by residing near the Mount Vernon Campus: He also teaches in the department of physician assistant studies at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences when he isn’t running his private orthopedic practice.

Raizman has lived near college campuses his whole life and was excited to continue that tradition, he said. His family donated his childhood home to Chatham University to use as a campus building. Before moving into the W Street house, Raizman and his wife lived on a property nearly adjoining Georgetown University.

“We’ve been somehow attached to college campuses,” Raizman said.

Lerman left Raizman big shoes to fill as the next resident of the W Street house: Lerman was famous for hosting Pancakes with the Provost, a monthly event during which students could enjoy pancakes with Lerman in his home.

Though most of the Raizmans’ interactions with undergraduate students so far have occurred at the Mount Vernon pool over the summer, Raizman said his family hopes to find ways to connect with students more.

And pancakes might not be off the table.

“I would happily cook for people,” Raizman said. “I would happily make pancakes for the underclassmen, maybe once a year, to keep the tradition alive.”

The Raizmans were searching for a house with enough space for their growing family, expecting another child in the next few months. The couple said they wanted a yard amidst D.C.’s urban environment. The location near the Mount Vernon Campus fit both of their commutes, so the house was an obvious choice, Courtney Raizman said.

“I think D.C. is a great city and has a combination of everything I want,” Courtney Raizman said. “Another bonus is his convenient location to his family, which is spread throughout Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Bethesda.

The Raizmans added that they look forward to walking their rescue labrador retriever, Shandy, around the Mount Vernon Campus this fall.

Courtney Raizman is also a surgeon who works at a private practice dealing with ear, nose and throat problems. She earned an undergraduate degree from Princeton University, then moved to D.C. in 2003 to earn her medical degree from Georgetown University.

The two surgeons met through mutual friends at a dinner party in Georgetown during Courtney Raizman’s time as a resident at the Georgetown Hospital and were married in 2013.

“She walked into her house, post-call and dismayed to see a dozen people there eating pizza, and she was the prettiest thing I had ever seen in scrubs,” Raizman said. “Somehow we hit it off, and the rest is history.”