Five bold activities to try with parents

The District welcomed a record number of domestic visitors to the city in 2016.

Colonials Weekend, unlike Colonial Inauguration or move-in day, is a weekend when you have time to show your parents around the city as a resident, instead of as a tourist.

In lieu of the normal National Mall tour, visit these out-of-the-box locations instead. You’ll be left with unforgettable memories with your family.

Paddling in the Tidal Basin
Try out Tidal Basin Paddle Boats to catch a view of the Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument from the water. If you paddle to the right spot, you can even make a pit stop at Roosevelt Island.

For $16 an hour for a two-passenger paddle boat or $26 an hour for a four passenger paddle boat, you can nab an unbeatable photo opportunity of the District from a whole new perspective. To get the best shots, make sure to go at sunset when the sun dips right behind the bridge.

The Dairy Godmother
If you’re tired of the same old boring ice cream day in and day out, check out The Dairy Godmother in Alexandria, Va. to browse a unique selection of homemade ice cream, frozen yogurt, custard, sorbet and milkshakes. We recommend the Lemon Lavender sorbet and the Wisconsin-style frozen custard. The Godmother even sells special treats for dogs.

Travel by Metro’s blue line, and you can stop at historic sites like the Pentagon and Arlington National Cemetery along the way.

Palmer Alley
Palmer Alley is a true taste of the cosmopolitan tucked away in the heart of CityCenterDC. Well-known for its iconic digital archway and string-lit pathway, the alley is a cozy corner perfect for all your classy Instagram needs.

Check out designers like Burberry, Kate Spade and Hermes and drool at the high fashion on display. If all that shopping makes you hungry, don’t worry – Palmer Alley is bustling with good eats, like Jaleo, Zaytinya, Momofuku, José Andrés’ Minibar and French Chef Daniel Boulud’s first D.C. restaurant, DBGB.

Madame Tussauds
Want to meet President Barack Obama, Zac Efron and Grumpy Cat in the same day? Perfect for kids and adults alike, Madame Tussauds is a great spot for the family.

Madame Tussauds offers the chance through wax figures for only $17.60 a ticket. See more than a century of famed athletes, pop stars, presidents and other historical figures that will make the trip to D.C. unforgettable.

Wine By the Spoon
Whether you love him or hate him, Donald Trump knows how to make a splash, and his new D.C. hotel is no different.

For a unique wine sampling experience, check out his on Pennsylvania Avenue to try Wine By the Spoon. Priced from $15 to $140 per ounce, this innovative wine-tasting method offers us normal people the chance to sample fine wine. In true Trump fashion, expect to be served expensive wine on a crystal spoon, just blocks from the Foggy Bottom campus.