Pre-election political events for your fall calendar

Updated: Aug. 29, 2016 at 6:08 p.m.

It goes without saying that D.C. is a top nightlife destination for political nerds — especially this election year. From election night to Inauguration Day and beyond, there are plenty of lectures, rallies, book signings and debates to keep you occupied.

If you aren’t the type to go out with your friends for a night at Nellie’s or the Black Cat, here are some local venues that will host events to mark on your calendars.

Politics & Prose

This Chevy Chase bookstore is a favorite of both book nerds and the writers they worship — the venue has played host to the likes of J.K. Rowling and Stephen Colbert at the shop’s near-nightly book talks. It is also the Small Business Saturday pick for President Obama, who has visited the store with his family multiple times during his presidency.

This fall’s calendar will appeal to the “Bernie-or-Busters” and the “Never-Trumpers” with an Oct. 1 visit by Ralph Nader.

Voters who have been #WithHer will want to check out Joe Conason — co-author of a new biography on former U.S. President Bill Clinton — at Politics & Prose Sept. 15.

The events are free, but the extensive collection of books and D.C. souvenirs makes it difficult to walk out of the store empty-handed.

5015 Connecticut Ave. NW
Monday through Saturday: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Busboys & Poets

With multiple locations around the District, this combination cafe and bookshop has been hailed as an ideal first date spot and a great place to kill a few hours on a weekday. Busboys & Poets hosts events almost every evening, including their well-known “A Continuing Talk On Race (A.C.T.O.R)” series and regular open-mic nights.

On Sept. 1 at the location on 14th and V streets, HumanitiesDC will host a happy hour conversation on history-making political moments that began in D.C. The panel-led talk is part of a yearlong series of programs to engage D.C. locals and visitors in discussions about the city’s intricate history.

2021 14th St. NW
Monday through Thursday: 8 a.m. – 12 a.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. – 12 a.m.

Sixth and I Historic Synagogue

Come for the exquisite architecture, and stay for the immense talent. This 110-year-old historic building in Chinatown contributes more than Shabbat services to the D.C. cultural scene. On any given night, you can slide into a pew and hear from a musician, author, comedian or politician. Some notable guests over the past few years include Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Ben Bernanke, Joyce Carol Oates and Art Garfunkel — just to name just a few.

Save the date for Sept. 10 because Hari Kondabolu, who has been called “one of the most exciting political comics in stand-up” by the New York Times, will be giving a talk. Tickets are $22.50, but prices at this venue can range from $15 to over $50, often including a copy of the book or album of the evening’s performer.

600 I St. NW
Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Doors for most events open at 6:30 p.m.