The upsides of living on the Mount Vernon Campus

Hatchet File Photo by Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor

So you’re living on the Mount Vernon Campus. You didn’t preference the Vern anywhere on your housing application. You might not be happy with your future home, but before you post in the Class of 2020 Facebook group begging someone to switch with you – which they won’t – consider this: Living on the Vern might not be so bad. Don’t roll your eyes just yet: The Vern may not be as exciting as Thurston Hall, but it certainly has its perks.

Parks and trails
For those who enjoy the outdoors, Foxhall is one of the best neighborhoods in D.C. An entrance to the Glover-Archbold park is a 10-minute walk from campus. The park is perfect for hiking and running, with a trail that runs alongside a stream and through a forest punctuated by grassy clearings.

If school has you stressed, the Foxhall Playground is only a five-minute walk. It is a prime location for relaxing under trees, playing frisbee or channeling your inner child on the swingset.

Safeway
Unlike your friends who live on the Foggy Bottom Campus, you will have access to a cheap grocery store that is only a 10-minute walk from your residence hall. While Whole Foods may be enjoyable, it will definitely take a toll on your GWorld budget. Eating out every night will also put a dent in your account, so living on the Vern may provide less temptation to spend all that money so quickly.

Small Community
Being “stranded on the Vern” really unites people. Those who live in hillside residence halls tend to be extremely close because only about 40 people are housed in each building. However, don’t fret if the people in your hall are just not your type because it is easy to make friends during the Vern Express rides or over a meal in Pelham Commons – the dining hall in West Hall.

Eckles Library
Consisting of three floors, Eckles Library has a homey, peaceful atmosphere perfect for getting work done and is usually much less crowded than Gelman Library. Claiming a study room during finals season is less difficult than it is in packed Gelman Library. Plus, one room in Eckles Library has hammocks for relaxing on a balcony. For those who enjoy studying outside, a porch swing is also available for you. And if you are looking for a quick pick-me-up during a long night of studying, Eckles offers coffee and hot cocoa for free if you bring your own mug – for 50 cents if you need a cup – to keep you going.

Pool
That’s right: The Vern has a pool. Although the Lerner Health and Wellness Center on the Foggy Bottom Campus has an indoor pool, it is not meant for recreational swimming or lounging. The Vern pool will be open for the first few weeks in the fall, so make sure you enjoy the fact that you will have a pool just steps from your residence hall.

Snow Days
Snow might get you stuck on the Vern for a few days this school year, but that’s not necessarily something to frown about. Snow days are a great way to spend time with friends and let loose, and there is no better place to do that than on the Vern. Your friends on the Foggy Bottom Campus may have fun too, but they will certainly miss out on snowball fights on the field, snowmen on the hillside and sledding down some of the gnarliest hills on GW property. Last winter’s “Snowzilla” even allowed Vernies to construct some snow forts. You will certainly find that a winter on the Vern is more like a trip to a winter wonderland.