How to celebrate Valentine’s Day if you’re a romance junkie

Anne McBride | Hatchet Photographer
Anne McBride | Hatchet Photographer

If you’re in a relationship, or are hoping to cozy up to someone new on Valentine’s Day, you’re in luck – there are plenty of romantic activities happening across the city.

Dinner cruise
Feb. 13 and 14, various
$49.90 to $99.90

Live the Titanic for one special night (minus the tragic ending, of course) this Valentine’s Day with Odyssey and Spirit Cruises. The two companies are hosting special Valentine’s Day brunch and dinner cruises in honor of the most romantic holiday of the year. Champagne, roses and a stellar view of Georgetown within a glass-enclosed ship are all included in the package deal.

Whether you choose the dinner or brunch option, the three-hour cruise will include a buffet, skyline views, access to the rooftop deck and, if you go with the Odyssey, live entertainment.

Prices for brunch start at $49.90 per person and dinner starts at $99.90 per person.

Live in a fairytale
Feb. 13, 3524 International Ct.
$92

Attend a fairytale ball this Valentine’s Day at the Austrian Embassy. Indulge in Austrian delicacies such as linzer and hazelnut tortes, Viennese apple tarts, Austrian white-and-dark chocolate florentines and bittersweet Austrian chocolates at the embassy’s dessert bar, all picked from the finest pastry shops in D.C.

Guests are encouraged to break out their best outfit to enjoy the ballroom dancing, set to the music of Strauss, Mozart, Lehar, Waldteufel, Stolz and others in a classic 18th century setting. If classical just isn’t your style, stick around for the late-night European-style disc jockey.

If you have two left feet, the Viennese Embassy is also hosting a European chocolate tasting, a screening of a movie about Austria, an open bar and a musical and dance presentation set to Strauss’s Blue Danube or the Emperor’s Waltz.

Take it easy
Feb. 13 & 14, 555 11th St.
$12

We’ve all had those days when we sincerely prefer our Netflix accounts over our better halves. And that’s okay – you can still have a rocking date night without the candlelit dinners, fancy outfits and mountains of cash, contrary to what every Nicholas Sparks flick might indicate.

Georgetown Loews theater is showing three new, heavily anticipated movies throughout Valentine’s Day weekend. While “Zoolander 2” (sequel to the classic “Zoolander”) and Marvel’s latest superhero film “Deadpool” are sure to be incredibly popular, “How to Be Single” starring Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson might be a good choice for those who appreciate a touch of irony.

For a rather cheesy (and significantly more intimate) movie, check out Landmark’s 1:30 p.m. showing of Jean Cocteau’s live action Beauty and the Beast. It’s like the Disney version – but better.